FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
updates from fedora

View previous topic :: View next topic  
r7
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: updates from fedora Reply with quote

for a while mike_m posted updates from fedora in this forum. i suspect it dropped off because of its time-consuming nature and i also suspect it was a pain in the arse to do. so first off, props to mike_m for doing the job.

so that got me thinking, how could we have stuff appear in this forum, but in a more efficient form.

my first idea is therefore to do a similar kind of thing but only related to the present blag release [at the time of writing 30002, based on fedora core 3].

the second idea to weed out some of the deadwood would be to only announce stuff that is on the cd version of blag.

i volunteer to be subscribed to one fedora list and do the job for four months. [the obvious implication of this is that i feel this should be a revolving job — no tech skill required beyond working email and forum]

other thoughts?

jebba
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would be nice. :)

You should only have to subscribe to fedora-legacy-announce or something similar. They also publish far fewer updates, so it shouldn't be /too/ bad.

For 50k, there will likely be a pretty huge number of updates as there always is after Fedora does a release.

Thanks,

-Jeff

stevo32
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, a few things: Wouldn't this be nice and easy to automate? And wouldn't it work better as an RSS feed?

Just my two cents (and thoughts),
Stephen Clement

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to update my system every time I'm connected to the net. (Almost a reflex action). Are the packages that are updated during `apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade` the packages that we are talking about here?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john, ya
Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP