FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
port binding

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adam
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:31 am    Post subject: port binding Reply with quote

i wasnt sure were to put this, so i put it in here, how would i go about binding ports, so like port 10000 points to /dev/null or something like that? if it needs to be a program i know a C/C++
jebba
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds more like you want firewalling.

What exactly are you trying to do?

adamk
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i read somewere to make you computer harder to hack or more frustrating you can bind a bunch of ports to /dev/null or trick port scanners into thinking you have 100 ssh ports open.
jebba
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely you mean crack ;)

You can do such tricks with iptables (firewalling) and such. Also google "honeypots" & "tarpits" if you want to muck with the people trying to crack your system.

-Jeff

adamk
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:13 am    Post subject: Adam Reply with quote

ok thx
stevo32
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a similar note, I frequently am attacked in excess of 500 times a day via SSH. In addition, my friend was recently assaulted all day long, resulting in excess of 5000 attempts before he added a block to his firewall. It's a growing issue and I know I heard about some software to block out repeated failures with sshd (can't remember what it's called, I remember I was using 10k at the time and it required a higher python version than I had). Might be something interesting to add to the repo.

Thanks,
Stephen Clement

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had that problem. It isn't anything other than annoying - I mean, the security risks are very low as I am running a server with only 15 or so users, some of which don't even have shell access anyway. I ran across some script (can't remember anything about it) that added a firewall rule after 5 failures. Seemed a bit cumbersome, however, so in the end I gave up and hoped for the best.

Bizarrely, all the attacks appeared to come from Eastern European University departments! :p

Jason
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use this to add firewall bans for every brute force attempt on SSH and ftp.

http://www.rfxnetworks.com/bfd.php

Last edited by Jason on Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
adamk
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx for the replies, but i was more interested
in learning the programming part of it so that
i could increase my knowledge in socket programming

thx

Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP