BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:33 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Patriot Act
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:46 am 

This is a question for all of us in the USA and for those that are up to date on the Patriot act. (If not go here to view - http://www.aclu.org/SafeandFree/Safeand ... 2126&c=207 )

So my question is this. What are everyone's thoughts on the Patriot act. Mine are more then negative. It is suppose to be in place to protect us but............ That is for a later, more detailed reply.

Wwwolf3004

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:49 am 

Who was it that said "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross"?
They are trying to implement the same type of crap here in Australia too. It's indicitive of our times. Make everybody scared and then oppress them under the guise of safety. It's quite offensive when you consider it's their empire building that is generating the fear in the first place.

Patriotism is the final refuge to which the scoundrel clings.
Steal a little and they throw you in jail, steal a lot and they make you a king.
(Bob Dylan)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:44 am 

philosopher emperor, Julius Caesar (102 - 44 B.C.).
“Beware of the leader who bangs the drums of war in order to whip the citizenry into patriotic fervor, for patriotism is indeed a double-edged sword. It both emboldens the blood, just as it narrows the mind. And when the drums of war have reached a fever pitch and the blood boils with hate and the mind has closed, the leader will have no need in seizing the rights of the citizenry, [who] infused with fear and blinded by patriotism, will offer up all of their rights unto the leader and gladly so. How will I know? For this I have done. And I am Julius Caesar.â€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:11 pm 

Cathbard wrote:
Who was it that said "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross"?

That would be Sinclair Lewis...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:29 am 
Can't be too bad of a place. I don't see anyone leaving. I never saw anyone in jail because they don't like a politician. In fact, I'd say more people complain in public about the government in the USA because it is so free.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:38 am 
Site Admin

jefro wrote:
Can't be too bad of a place. I don't see anyone leaving. I never saw anyone in jail because they don't like a politician. In fact, I'd say more people complain in public about the government in the USA because it is so free.

Such bullshit.

Come visit our ENORMOUS prison system. Largest on Earth by most counts. So free?

Leaving? I'm not even /allowed/ to leave without permission, along with hundreds of thousands, if not millions of others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:58 am 

jefro wrote:

America is free, everyone of us is free to live on the streets. The rich can do it too. To misquote Anatole France: America allows the rich and the poor to live in the streets and get there food from the trash.
It's true that I don't see all those street people lining up at the airport to leave the country. It must be because they love it here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:25 pm 

I'm pretty sure that If I was so poor that I was eating out of bins, food and shelter would be my first priority, rather than saving up my pennies for a plane ticket.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:44 pm 
Site Admin

This sums it up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:21 am 

nofoto wrote:
I'm pretty sure that If I was so poor that I was eating out of bins, food and shelter would be my first priority, rather than saving up my pennies for a plane ticket.

I guess I was too cryptic. The above was meant as irony. The reference to Anatole France:
"The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:28 am 

I have a lot of reading to do, to be honest. I am but a simple, humble person. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:58 am 
Site Admin

KBR awarded Homeland Security contract worth up to $385M

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- KBR, the engineering and construction subsidiary of Halliburton Co., said Tuesday it has been awarded a contingency contract from the Department of Homeland Security to supports its Immigration and Customs Enforcement facilities in the event of an emergency. The maximum total value of the contract is $385 million and consists of a 1-year base period with four 1-year options. KBR held the previous ICE contract from 2000 through 2005. The contract, which is effective immediately, provides for establishing temporary detention and processing capabilities to expand existing ICE Detention and Removal Operations Program facilities in the event of an emergency influx of immigrants into the U.S., or to support the rapid development of new programs, KBR said. The contract may also provide migrant detention support to other government organizations in the event of an immigration emergency, as well as the development of a plan to react to a national emergency, such as a natural disaster, the company said.