BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:57 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:54 pm 

stevo32 wrote:
Nice to hear you've got it working. I plan to write a wiki entry on this.

Thanks,
Stephen Clement

Thanks for all the suggestions. Unfortunately, I ran out of time to experiment on this box. I wound up installing FC5 on it. I tried an experiment with the new install, enabling the blag repos. That worked well for a couple of the things I wanted, which was to install Cinelerra and Lives. Now, I'm wondering if I could just switch over permanently to blag for updates and new packages? Would that have the effect of turning the machine into a blag box? Or are there too many differences?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:50 pm 
Site Admin

claudejones wrote:
Now, I'm wondering if I could just switch over permanently to blag for updates and new packages? Would that have the effect of turning the machine into a blag box? Or are there too many differences?

Uh, if you did a `yum update` with the blag repos you'd get a pretty blag'd box. Would be interesting to test at least. ;) No guarantees...

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:07 pm 
jebba wrote:
claudejones wrote:
Now, I'm wondering if I could just switch over permanently to blag for updates and new packages? Would that have the effect of turning the machine into a blag box? Or are there too many differences?

Uh, if you did a `yum update` with the blag repos you'd get a pretty blag'd box. Would be interesting to test at least. ;) No guarantees...

No, I didn't do a yum update with your repos enabled - I just enabled them and installed Cinelerra and Lives from there. It worked fine. The only issue is that I have to watch my updates from the Fedora/Livna base-line repos like a hawk because they want to replace your builds for the various dependencies of Cinelerra/Lives such as ffmpg with their own packages. That one, of course, would have led to an uninstall of Lives for dependency reasons, if I'd let it go through. That's why I was thinking of relying solely on the blag repos going foward, but, wasn't sure how that would work...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:14 pm 
Site Admin

Uh, it "should" work fine, but you might get a bit of a frankenbox.

I've done fc2+blag then threw CCRMA on top of it. It works. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm 

jebba wrote:

Jeff: Tell you what - I've got an old box here and I'm putting FC5 on it at this moment. Once it's up, I'll switch entirely to your repos, and I'll let you know. This box is only a 700 MHz Celeron with 384k of ram, hopelessly underpowered for video applications, but it should let us test the theory. By the way, I'm fairly new here, are you one of the developers of blag? I see your name on a lot of posts and you seem to be pretty authoritative, so I was wondering...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:05 pm 
Site Admin

claudejones wrote:
By the way, I'm fairly new here, are you one of the developers of blag? I see your name on a lot of posts and you seem to be pretty authoritative, so I was wondering...

Welcome :) Yeah Jeff is a developer you could say. He hosts it all, does most of the work and we all learn from him mostly. He is the uber geek :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:19 am 

Jason wrote:
claudejones wrote:
By the way, I'm fairly new here, are you one of the developers of blag? I see your name on a lot of posts and you seem to be pretty authoritative, so I was wondering...

Welcome :) Yeah Jeff is a developer you could say. He hosts it all, does most of the work and we all learn from him mostly. He is the uber geek :)

OK - well, I appreciate the work being done. The machine I had tried blag on was scheduled to replace my original FC4 machine, a machine that's really turned into a sort-of production box. Nothing deal-breaking, but, important enough to not be able to be taken out of use while I was experimenting. The original box is dying with a bad drive, and needs to be taken down. So, blag will start being applied tomorrow am to my fresh new FC5 underpowered Celeron. I'll report the results. Obviously, to get back to the original subject, this method gives me a solid KDE. In a few more days, kde-redhat should have their FC5 repo up, so I suppose that would be another approach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:32 am 

jebba wrote:

Well, here's a prelimanary report. I have two machines up. The first is a 2.8 GHz P4 with 1 GB of ram. That was the first machine I tried blag on. It's running FC5, now, but with the blag repos installed. I've loaded a few things from blag, including Cinelerra and Lives, without issue. The other is the test bed old Celeron 700 with 384k of ram. After a fresh install of FC5, I disabled all the FC5 repos and enabled the blag repos. Had a few minor hassles - it couldn't find the Fedora log in "bubbles" page, no great loss. It's using one of the older ones. I spent some time today trying to figure out how to use kdm instead of gdm, but never worked that one out. I thought it was an entry in inittab but that didn't do it. Not a huge deal. More strange is the behavior of Yumex on both boxes. Using the repo window to enable/disable repos was flaky. So flaky that at one point, I removed all the blag repos from the first box yum.repos.d folder, and ran Yumex, and it still found blag packages it wanted to apply! I know it sounds strange... The Celeron box kept wanting to update initscrips, and kept failing; I finally succeded by using yum from the command line. I'll spend more time on Yumex tomorrow, to try and figure out what's going on. Except for these anomolies, both machines are running well. Don't know if I'd call these frankenboxes, but maybe little munsteritos - I visited the ccrma site today, after Jeff mentioned it - it looks like there's not much happenning. The repo still seems to be apt only, which isn't very useful with the current direction both apt and Fedora are taking...

For those who may encounter the Yumex problem, I found the answer. At the head of each stanza in a repo file is a section name in brackets, which Yumex calls the "base" field, if you open the repo file in Yumex for editing (right click a repo line in the Yumex repo window, and you're offered some options, one of which is "edit"). If two repo files use the same base name in one of their stanzas, Yumex will only display one of the repos in the repo list window. I simply took the blag repos and opened them in kate, and added "blag-" to each stanza name, and that allowed all the repos, both Fedora's and blag's, to be displayed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:39 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for the info. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:41 pm 

jebba wrote:
Thanks for the info. :)

No problem. I'm afraid my experiment with the old Celeron box has ended. The machine froze during logon to the KDE desktop, yesterday. It turned out to be serious, the machine won't even boot to the BIOS screen, now. It was a flaky box which was why I was experimenting with it. I've got your repos installed on multiple Fedora boxes now, including my FC4 home machine. All is well as long as I'm careful. Yumex works well as long as the adjustments are made I spoke of earlier. KYUM should be avoided, even though it's interface is nicer in some ways. It has two big problems - it mangles the repo files when you enable/disable repositories from the interface, and, it doesn't give you the option to approve changes after it determines dependencies - once you select a package, it installs it without futher intervention - not good!