FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
Stripping past bare bones

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adamk
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Stripping past bare bones Reply with quote

how would i go about stripping linux past bare bones, as in all i want it able to do is run TinyWM (http://packages.debian.org/unstable/x11/tinywm can i use this with FC even if its for debian?) and xine, nothing else, basically i want to use it for a (big) cd player in my car :D, so i can store mp3's and still play cd's... so i want to strip it so much that it starts as fast as possible and doesnt load things ill never use (eg. printing support).

thx

john maclean
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One method is to perfom a `minimal` package installation. This installs just enough to have a shell and your basic services with no X. then you could add any additional packages with apt-get. There would be no synaptic if that's what you are used to, as that package management system depends on X.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest blackbox, fluxbox, or if you want really oldskool twm. They should be minimal enough...

Just do an install where everything is unchecked and apt-get the bits you need little by little, is one method...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

once i have apt-get all the packages i need is there a way to disable the internet at startup? (inetd or xinetd or something like that??)
and one more thing would using Gentoo or something were i can compile the kernel make it any better or just take longer?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh and how do i remove packages that are installed by default?
r7
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: removing packages Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
oh and how do i remove packages that are installed by default?

apt-get will remove as well as install packages.

Code:
apt-get remove foo

careful about removing stuff from a minimal install though, it's called minimal for a reason...

adamk
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, thx
Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP