BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:51 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: BLAG10001 coming...
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 3:57 pm 
Site Admin

Here's what I want to change/update for 10001. Let me know if you want something added to this list ASAP. 10001 is based on Fedora Core 1.

1) gdm menu text too big in some lingos
2) missing lots of backgrounds
3) add jabber
4) add inkscape
5) add firefox
6) add thunderbird
7) update fedora errata
8) update to latest repository versions
9) add bookmarks to mozilla
10) add rar
11) add direct connect client
12) add nicotine

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 4:25 pm 

great,I cant wait. I think also maybe it'll fix my lagging sound.

I know this might be a stretch,but can you add alsa-oss because I can't seem
to get my sound in sync with video.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 12:49 am 
Site Admin

I'm not even sure what the deal is on redistributing jre--Sun has sent lots of mixed signals. It looks like the package is binary redistributable, but not source. It ain't Free Software...

Also, jre just doesn't fit--it's 20 megs. We have 16 megs left on the CD to work with, unless we ditch something. Firefox is weighing in at 9.6 megs, so we're filling up fast...

As for yum, I'm not sure whether you want it or not there. I probably should add it...but I like apt/synaptic much more :)

At this point, DAG hasn't built his kernel-modules for Fedora's 2197 version kernel, so I can't really get 10001 out until he does that. I dropped him a message and let him know. He's super-responsive, so I'm sure that will get sorted out.

As for alsa-oss, I don't see that Freshrpms (the authoritative packager) has an RPM of it--it may be stuffed inside one of the other alsa-* RPMs. I thought I had OSS emulation going without the alsa-oss specific RPM. Perhaps you can check that?

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 1:34 am 
Site Admin

I've heard that cobind's yum gui is quite buggy at this point. Hopefully it'll improve.

You can update daily with apt too, just add apt-get update && apt-get -y dist-upgrade to your crontab. Automatic updates I find a bit dodgy though...

I've been using Dag's kernel-modules for most things as he's the authoritative packager for many of them. Axel's kernel-module (and other packages) often require other packages that Dag doesn't require. I'd like to stick to the official FC1 kernel release (2197 at the moment) with other folks' kernel-modules built against it.

For a list of who is authoritative for what, see:
http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/apt/mega-merge.php

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 4:34 am 
Site Admin

5) add firefox
6) add thunderbird
10) add rar
11) add direct connect client
12) add nicotine

those are some i would definitly want, and btw, i have nicotine working well under blag.

i'd like to see azureus (java bittorrent client) in place of the official bittorrent client, although i'm not sure if everybody would like that.

http://azureus.sourceforge.net/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:37 am 
Site Admin

Can't really do a java bittorrent client due to the jre issues above.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:50 am 
Hi I recently heard of another file sharing program from a friend who uses Gentoo Linux. He said that A program called Gift that uses fast track client runs peer to peer file sharing so it connects with kazaa. This would be awesome if it can be used in Blag. Here is the website gift.sourceforge.net Do not type www. at the begining of the web address.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 6:52 am 
Site Admin

I've checked out gift a bit. One thing I didn't like about it is that there seemed to be many "parts" involved. You didn't just launch the thing and connect and go. It requires you to set up a daemon, and to configure that by editing a text file to begin with. It just looked a little too crufty at this point. I'll take another peek though. If it's small enough.... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:00 am 
Oh, I didn't realize how much of a pain it was to get set up and running. I was just trying to find something for Linux that uses peer to peer file sharing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:20 am 
Site Admin

Have you checked out aMule yet? It's in BLAG and works quite well. There's also bittorrent.

Direct Connect and Nicotine are coming soon (10001).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:52 pm 
Site Admin

yeah but it takes forever for anything to start downloading in aMule.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:39 am 
Do you think that you might add back a couple of the office programs that were removed from blag 9002 to 10000 like gnulabels and a couple others?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:44 am 
If you end up with extra space you should add the frozen bubble, Lbreakout, bzflag, Lincity,and armagetron games. Or maybe at least put them in the repository.