BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:25 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:43 am 

logicmaster wrote:
Hello guys :)
also can i have one request on your final stable release of 50k ? I wish the log-in screen be the same as Blag30002.. its the one in black-and-white picture.. All my friends and sisters found that picture very very soothing !! I must agree :) The new one with the cracked pavement rather look depressing !

Yes, I agree that login screen is very nice. It should be changable still under "System Tools" -> "Login Screen" although I hope they include it for ease of switch.

I'm curious if they are going to be able to relpace Gnomescreensaver with XScreenSaver. Talk about Gnome switching something from drool to joke.

While I don't currently have a testing machine, from what I've read and seen, BLAG 50K is looking very nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:16 am 
Site Admin

gnome-screensaver comes with 5 screensavers. xscreensaver comes with 50 or something like that. And gnome-screensaver's aren't particularly good either. Plus, xscreensaver comes with power management options (not offered by gnome-screensaver, sorry. Blanking the screen is the best it can do.). All in all, gnome-screensaver is a complete joke. I think we'll be sticking with xscreensaver. :)

Thanks,
Stephen Clement

Post subject: Beagle, Fspot, etc.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:54 pm 

As I asked for a list of packages in the 50K alphas, I finally got around to taking a look at them. Oddly, I did not see mono, beagle, or fspot; perhaps these are part of the gnome-desktop package or something. I am really looking forward to these programs (well, mono isn' a program, but you understand). Can anybody comment on this?

By the way, OSNews has a nice review of FC5. Most notably, the increased speed of the system has pleased many users, which, of course, goes hand in hand with the small memory foot print the OS (90-95 megs, and some readers are reporting less).

Post subject: Re: Beagle, Fspot, etc.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:53 pm 
Site Admin

pfe1223 wrote:
As I asked for a list of packages in the 50K alphas, I finally got around to taking a look at them. Oddly, I did not see mono, beagle, or fspot; perhaps these are part of the gnome-desktop package or something. I am really looking forward to these programs (well, mono isn' a program, but you understand). Can anybody comment on this?

The mono stuff is not on the BLAG CD but it's in the repo. It's big and it's mono. Kind of makes me cringe.

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:16 am 

stevo32 wrote:
gnome-screensaver comes with 5 screensavers. xscreensaver comes with 50 or something like that. And gnome-screensaver's aren't particularly good either. Plus, xscreensaver comes with power management options (not offered by gnome-screensaver, sorry. Blanking the screen is the best it can do.). All in all, gnome-screensaver is a complete joke. I think we'll be sticking with xscreensaver. :)

Thanks,
Stephen Clement

Just wondering if its "safe" to uninstall the screensave ? that will save me about 28 MB. If uninstalled, will the "blank" screen still work ? or will the video will always be ON ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:18 am 

logicmaster wrote:

Just wondering if its "safe" to uninstall the screensave ? that will save me about 28 MB. If uninstalled, will the "blank" screen still work ? or will the video will always be ON ?

i have something in my gnome panel - "Power Management Preferences" - which puts the screen to sleep after a set time. so if you remove gnome-screensaver, maybe this would provide the video suspend?

not sure how you enable this, in my case it just appeared in the panel after the 49k install.

From the 'about' tab:

Code:
Power Manager 2.14.0
Power Manager for the GNOME desktop
Copyright © 2005 Richard Hughes
http://www.gnome.org/projects/gnome-power-manager/

i notice that gnome-screensaver will override Xine or Mplayer, which is a pain in the arse. Xscreensaver didn't do that did it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:50 pm 

actually i've decided not to uninstall the built-in xscreensaver cuz it will also unistall other stuffs like volume control and all. Plus, its actually 14 MB, not 28MB.. my bad.

but early this morning i've upgraded BLAG30002 --> 30003 as per Jebba's 3-line instruction. It added about 54MB and now my main directory "\" is nearly 1.9GB ( max allocated for this partition that I've setup is 2.0GB). OOOPS !! LOL ! so when I get home, I'll do an image "save" to a CDRW, reformat my partitions to notch-up the "\" max allocated space from 2.0GB to about 3.0GB, then do a "restore" image from CDRW into this new 3.0GB partition :)

oh yea FYI: the whole process of save/restore image is barely under 20 minutes :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:34 pm 
Site Admin

Oh, to clean up your downloaded updates you can run:

Code:
apt-get clean

That'll free up disk space.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:01 pm 

yea i did that already too :)

Post subject: Question regarding 49K
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:44 am 

Whenever a DVD is inserted into the drive, stupid old totem pops up. Short of removing totem (which will happen sooner or later) is there any way to prevent Totem from popping up whenever a disk is inserted?

Thanks,

apteryx.

Registered Linux User - #384913

Get Registered at: http://counter.li.org/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:38 am 

hi apteryx,

maybe right-click the source video file and select Properties
then on the tab properties, click Open with
select Totem then cilck the removebutton
add whatever you want the default player to be ( in my case.. VideoLan client)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:28 am 
Site Admin

I'll probably yank totem from the CD too...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:49 pm 

sorry logicmaster, but I did look for something like that (like in win-bloz) but it may work for single files, but I can not find that association for a DVD disk.

apteryx.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:14 pm 

couldn't figure it out either, so i removed totem. it's default for cd audio disks too, but just slowly crashes when you play a cd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:16 pm 

oh happy day (sarcasm intended ;) ) I just removed totem, so can I expect slowly crashing DVD playing as well? ;)

We shall see. Now, how do I remove the damn thing from the menu! ;)

apteryx.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next