Only mozilla 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
mozilla & epiphany 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
mozilla & firefox 43%  43%  [ 6 ]
mozilla, epiphany, & firefox 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 14
 Post subject: The Greatest Browser
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:04 am 
Site Admin

Ok. So I'm now using firefox. Just 0.8 though as 0.9.1 has issues installing via RPM (Dag hasn't built it yet...).

The CD is tight on space, once again... Firefox can completely replace mozilla--no mozilla packages are needed for it. Epiphany requires mozilla and so does galeon. Epiphany is extremely small. I haven't had a chance to test firefox vs. epiphany on small (say 64 meg) boxes. Anyone have experience with either of them on low end kit?

It is possible to have mozilla (12 megs), epiphany (1.6 megs), and firefox (9.6 megs) on the CD, it just means other stuff has to go.

Whatcha all think?

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:30 am 
Site Admin

firefox and mozilla will do me just fine :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 7:32 am 
Mozilla and Firfox together is what I also use. There is no pont in having epiphany or galeon since they are both pretty much the same as Mozilla just with a slightly different look at feel to them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:56 pm 
Site Admin

Ya, galeon is pretty much out for sure. The only thing that has me still clinging to epiphany is that it /appears/ to be really really small. I haven't really tested it much on super-low gear. I'd like to see launch times of moz, firefox, epiphany on 64 meg 200Mhzish machines.

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:36 pm 
Site Admin

on my P3 450mhz, here are the times to start

mozilla: 8 seconds
firefox: 6 seconds (mind you i have about 6 extensions, it loads faster without them)
epiphany: 5 seconds

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:57 pm 
Site Admin

Perhaps for the super-low end we could add dillo:
http://www.dillo.org/

Dag has it in his repository if you want to check it out.

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:07 pm 
Site Admin

I think we definately should keep Mozilla. It is the most complete browser period. Epiphany is uber quick.

Maybe we can come up with other ways to do this though. Think about it this way. We can create shortcuts to the internet applications in the menu and then it can download and install these applications after BLAG is installed. Those without an internet connection won't need internet applications and therefore won't need to worry about installing them. What do you think of that idea? Even a script file would be good. Things like Gaim, Xchat, aMule, Evolution all need an internet connection right? I am thinking of bandwidth as an extension to the limited CD space.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:18 pm 
Site Admin

I like that idea jason. I was thinking of things like:

Menu->Office->More Office Applications->Install OpenOffice

Menu->Internet->More Internet Applications->Install flash

Or whatever else. The menu choices could then just run a script as root (prompting for the root password like synaptic does). Simply: apt-get update && apt-get install openoffice.org or whatever. A simple little GUI could be done in zenity and it would be about 10 lines of shell code...

It seems so simple. Too simple. ;)

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:21 pm 
Site Admin

Sweet. That sounds pretty good to me. Windows has Windows update which is a URL you can go to and select the checkboxes for what you want. Obviously being the idiots they are you cannot see the site using any Linux browser so you can't see what I mean. It does make installing things easy. Ah wait - Google :)

http://images.google.com/images?q=windo ... gle+Search

So something similar for BLAG would rock big time though of course it doesn't need to be web based. Could we just add a new menu category saying recommended apps and then list them all. Sort of like a menu within a menu :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:27 pm 
Site Admin

Jason wrote:
Sweet. That sounds pretty good to me. Windows has Windows update which is a URL you can go to and select the checkboxes for what you want. CHOP
So something similar for BLAG would rock big time though of course it doesn't need to be web based. Could we just add a new menu category saying recommended apps and then list them all. Sort of like a menu within a menu :)

Well, it's kinda like a minimal synaptic menu...hmm. It would be nice if you could launch synaptic and have it only list a few things even though tons more are available.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:31 pm 
Site Admin

Well with a search function you don't really need to list everything anyways. All this menu would be is more or less an extension of apt-get anyways right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:36 pm 
Site Admin

Ya, basically a really simplified version of synaptic, which is just a front-end to apt-get.

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 4:53 am 
Site Admin

Do you know the name of their admin program? I didn't see it in a quick glance at:
http://libranetlinux.com/source/2.8/

-Jeff