BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:39 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Multiple DVDs
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 5:14 am 
Site Admin

BLAG is "always" gonna do a one CD version.

In the past, there has been a single CD /and/ a DVD with everything from the repository on it. The repository for 50k is getting huge though and is well over the size limit of a DVD.

So how should we work this? I'm thinking we could go for a single CD version and a multiple DVD version. Or we could do a single CD and a single DVD and just drop packages from the DVD that are in the repository (such as some of the games with large data sets).

Thunks?

-Jeff

Last edited by jebba on Thu May 11, 2006 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 5:29 am 

halo jebba,

Just an insight... most linux-tester and newbies prefer a "700MB or under" single-cd distros. Thats just my insight but I dont mind .. either way.. single or multiple cd / dvd.. I"m still a hardcore blaggers :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 5:40 am 
Site Admin

Ya, the single-CD version isn't going away.

The question is what to do with the other ISO we generate. Multiple DVDs or single DVD with fewer packages?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 7:06 am 

hard to say, personally i have two needs - firstly i prefer the single CD install for most systems, but i also have a blag box at work - i work in a warehouse with no internet connection - so a multi DVD install with a ton of packages would be great too which would save a lot of to-ing and fro-ing with a usb stick loaded with the wrong dep's ; )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 3:02 pm 

I've only used the CD + repo myself but I suppose it would be good to have everything available on DVD for those who can't use the repo.

Perhaps the CD, a primary DVD, and an extras DVD with those larger or less used packages? Folks who didn't want those additional packages wouldn't need to download the second DVD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 1:32 am 
Site Admin

wabash wrote:
I've only used the CD + repo myself but I suppose it would be good to have everything available on DVD for those who can't use the repo.

Perhaps the CD, a primary DVD, and an extras DVD with those larger or less used packages? Folks who didn't want those additional packages wouldn't need to download the second DVD.

I like this idea myself. :)

Thanks,
Stephen Clement

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 2:40 am 
Site Admin

I'm not so into the "single CD" + "DVD with everything (multiple DVDs)" + "single pared down DVD" because it means I have to maintain 3 sets of ISOs...

I'm leaning pretty heavily towards "single CD" and "multiple DVDs".

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 5:16 am 

jebba wrote:
I'm not so into the "single CD" + "DVD with everything (multiple DVDs)" + "single pared down DVD" because it means I have to maintain 3 sets of ISOs...

I'm leaning pretty heavily towards "single CD" and "multiple DVDs".

-Jeff

Yeah, I wondered how much extra work it would be before posting the suggestion. Not sure of the answer, I posted anyway, figuring users without fast access to the repo might also have a hard time having to grab a second DVD, and would prefer not to if they didn't need the packages. But if it's not practical to maintain distinct DVDs, then simply offering multiple DVDs still makes everything available.

Though I wasn't talking about a CD AND a pared down DVD AND a multiple DVD. I was talking about a CD and a DVD set (with a primary DVD and a secondary DVD in the set -- users could choose to download either one or both DVDs). Maybe it amounts to the same thing. What do I know? I don't even have a DVD reader, nevermind a burner! :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 2:41 pm 
Site Admin

Single CD's and multiple DVD's sounds about right.