BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:13 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:53 pm 

Well I'm a jumpy kind of guy, i tend to go from distro to distro and all that business. As usual I've come back to BLAG but I'm having a weird problem.

I've set up my wlan card to work through ndiswrapper many many times, including a few in BLAG 10000. But it just won't work this time. I remember having a particularly difficult time setting it up last time as well.

I get everything set up, I have the correct information stored in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0 so that things go the wya they should on boot or upon 'service network restart.' It even appears as 'active' in the network adapter configuration program. But it seems like this time, no matter what I do to that little bugger I can not get a working internet connection. ifconfig wlan0 shows me all the usual stuff including IP/broadcast/netmask.

So why is it that, despite the evidence that I'm connected to the network, I don't have an internet connection? And how is it that I've gotten it to work just fine in the past off of a fresh install, but I can't this time? Is there some magical key sequence that somehow shot it's way out of my mind since the last time that I was able to pull it off with ease? Or am I just going crazy and forgetting some tiny detail (I'm fairly certain this isn't the case)?

Please please please, help me out here. For example, what is it exactly that you do when setting a card up (commands and such)?

Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:38 pm 

Wow, once again I spoke too soon. Seems I have a habit of doing that, sorry to waste anyone's time. If anyone's curious, the one tiny detail that I couldn't manage to remember before I posted this question was to include

BOOTPROTO=dhcp

to /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0

I just thought of that when I got back to my computer, so I added it and did a 'service network restart' and it worked like a charm.

Thanks for BLAG, despite the fact that sometimes I go blank and forget what the hell I'm doing. My favorite distro :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:11 pm 
Site Admin

Glad you got it fixed.

Perhaps you could do a writeup on the wiki about how to use ndiswrapper with BLAG. That way you can just look at your own notes and others can benefit.

I get lots of ndiswrapper questions, but I don't have a very good answer.

Pretty please? ;)

http://wiki.blagblagblag.org/ndiswrapper

would probably be a good spot and a link from:

http://wiki.blagblagblag.org/wireless

Thanks,

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:38 pm 
Site Admin

btw, if ya need help writing up something for ndiswrapper i can help because i've used it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:42 pm 
Site Admin

wiki! wiki! wiki! everything you can think of. ;)

Really, it's nice that the forums are coming along. Now if we could just distill things into the wiki, we'll have a resource to direct blag-newbies to.

wikimaster anyone?

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:20 am 
Site Admin

I have time to give so I will help out wherever possible. I am hardly the best tech in the world so just allocate me where you want and off I go :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:10 am 
Site Admin

ok, i've started to write a wiki page for ndiswrapper. if anybody wants to help or see the progress, e-mail me at s.cleme.nospamatall!.nt@sympatico.ca .