FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
BLAG-49999.00021 Released

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jebba
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 11:09 pm    Post subject: BLAG-49999.00021 Released Reply with quote

Yet another spin.

This updates:
cups
cups-libs
postgresql-libs
firefox <---

And finally adds synaptic.

The file comps.xml has been resync'd a bit, so the installer should include more applications in the list than it did previously.

The repository has been updated as well.

ftp://ftp.blagblagblag.org/pub/BLAG/linux/50000/en/iso

Happy camping.

-Jeff

logicmaster
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: BLAG-49999.00021 Released Reply with quote

jebba wrote:
Yet another spin.

This updates:
cups
cups-libs
postgresql-libs
firefox <---

And finally adds synaptic.

The file comps.xml has been resync'd a bit, so the installer should include more applications in the list than it did previously.

The repository has been updated as well.

ftp://ftp.blagblagblag.org/pub/BLAG/linux/50000/en/iso

Happy camping.

-Jeff

hello Jeff :) woooow.. I bet the stable version of 50k is indeed coming really soon huh :)

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: BLAG-49999.00021 Released Reply with quote

logicmaster wrote:
hello Jeff :) woooow.. I bet the stable version of 50k is indeed coming really soon huh :)

There are still a number of things that need sorting/finalizing such as:

* picking package updater (synaptic, yumex, pirut, smart?)
* fixing icons (somehow they are getting cropped)
* upgrades
* good customized VoIP software for blasterisk (perhaps ekiga, kphone, iaxcomm etc)
* good podcast client
* clean up installer issues
* selinux=0 other tweaks (system-config-securitylevel, rebuild anaconda)
* whatever else i've missed, such as stuff in the 50k requests thread

50k will almost certainly be out in June.

-Jeff

qfwfq5or7
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: BLAG-49999.00021 Released Reply with quote

jebba wrote:
50k will almost certainly be out in June. -Jeff

Nice. Forgive my ignorance, but I have been a bit confused about what the string of 49.whatever isos are for a bit now.

I seem to have hopelessly mangled one of the 30k systems I have here (at least enough to want to start all over with it), and even downloaded 12, or 13 maybe, of the 49k, but after two failed burnings that wouldn't work for an install, I decided perhaps a bit of patience might be in order after all.

Good to know that it will pay off so soon.
I'm sure the details are maddening, though I don't know a thing about the process
-just grateful it's still in motion.

Thanks,
S.

jebba
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The string of 49k releases are just test releases until the final BLAG50000 release ("blag50k").

There have been BLAG snapshots based on Fedora Core 5, and Fedora's prereleases since like last December.

The alpha (test) releases are meant so people can see what the final blag will be like, so they can give suggestions, find bugs, etc. As test releases progress they get closer & closer to the final CD. Sometimes the test releases can get worse before they get better though. At this point, the base is pretty stable and there shouldn't be any radical changes.

-Jeff

pistonbrew
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

something weird afoot with this new CUPS, the test page at least. it comes out eventually, but in little bits printed over about 20 sheets of paper. is this happening to anyone else? other printing seems fine.

Using HP Inkjet 1000 / hpijs, by the way.

Cheers

Bob

ps feel free to move this to support if required.

pistonbrew
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pps... sooo good to see the reappearance of synaptic

cheers for the hard work jeff

bob

pfe1223
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: package management Reply with quote

According to the latest Distrowatch Weekly Newsletter, the newest version of APT that just entered Debian Sid now requires much, much smaller downloads when doing 'apt-get upgrade'.

The Ubuntu after Dapper will be using Smart package manger, which should help with exposure to this supposedly great program. Also, many people are upset at the failure of the newest package manager to work in SUSE 10.1. A common solution is to use Smart. Just out of curiosity, I'd like to see Smart, especially when you consider that APT for RPM is no longer officially supported (I believe the person who oversaw this program went on to create Smart).

farfnarf
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Updater..... Reply with quote

"picking package updater (synaptic, yumex, pirut, smart?)"

..casting my vote for Synaptic. :O)

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Updater..... Reply with quote

farfnarf wrote:
"picking package updater (synaptic, yumex, pirut, smart?)"

..casting my vote for Synaptic. :O)

another here, although i'd certainly give smart a try.

i've had too much hassle with yumex; it would need a pretty spectacular trick up its sleeve to get me on side...

logicmaster
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea I read that yumex and yum are very very slow. I also read that rpm is fast but synaptic is the best in terms of Speed / GUI. So just like you guys.. I give my vote to Synaptic

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

synaptic is cool, but tied to apt-get which is pretty much depracated by lots of groups, so it could be problematic down the road.

smart looks good, but i haven't done one set up with the blag repos yet. Look for me to package it up next week and we can do the final GUI package manager showdown. :)

-Jeff

weyasey
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebba wrote
Quote:
smart looks good, but i haven't done one set up with the blag repos yet. Look for me to package it up next week and we can do the final GUI package manager showdown. :)

In that case i'll leave my vote until I test drive Smart.....it'll have to be pretty smart to shake me from Synaptic ;)
Great work Jeff and Crew, 50K is looking cool.......long live Blag ;@

Vas

Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP