FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
secondary hard drive

View previous topic :: View next topic  
duffer
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: secondary hard drive Reply with quote

let me start out by saying i love this OS it is working great i am new to it and cant seem to find how to save or even open any thing on a secondary hard drive i can see the hard drive in the hardware browser in the system tools menu. but i cant seem to find a way to open or save any thing to it how do i locate this hard drive. it is formated with ntfs will i still be able to access. can i acces this hard drive threw the home folder if so how???
jebba
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NTFS is not available on the CD. You can download drivers for it here:

http://linux-nfts.sourceforge.net

You need to have the matching one for your kernel (`rpm -q kernel` to find out).

This is a FAQ. Can an NTFS user wikify this?

-Jeff

duffer
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 2:12 am    Post subject: got the driver Reply with quote

i got the correct driver and installed it but still cant seem to find the drive. where can i find the drive to write to it im using it just to save files for transfer to my other pc so there is no windows installed on.
jebba
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hda= primary master
hdb= primary slave
hdc= secondary master
hdd= secondary slave

Most likely the NTFS partition is #1. So you'd do something like:

Code:
/sbin/modprobe ntfs
mkdir /mnt/windoz
mount /dev/hdb1 /mnt/windoz

So your drive would appear under /mnt/windoz. Subtitute for hdb1 with your correct drive/partition. Running `dmesg` may give you some info about where the drive is (or `dmesg | grep hd`).

-Jeff

Nick
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-fc3.shtml#ntfs

this link helped me out, should be easy enough for you to follow.

but i would also advise you to read my 'NTFS grief' post and follow the procedure i did to convert to FAT32 so that you can write to the drive.

duffer
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:38 pm    Post subject: root Reply with quote

its been like 3 years since ive used linux sorry if im beeing a nucence when i do that code it says only the root can do that where do i login or put in the password for root? and when trying to make dir it says permisons denied i think this allso has to do with the root? thanxs for all your help
blaggard
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Get an xterm window and do "su -" {su minus sign}.
You should be prompted for a root passwd, which you should
have set up while installing BLAG.

Then do whatever the code tels you to do.

Hope this helps.

Blaggard

Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP