FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
Bad experience

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dreuveni@netscape.net
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: Bad experience Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I tried installing this distribution because the hype declared it to be the best thing since sliced bread.

On installing, it changed the system date to 2030.

It installed the boot loader on the MBR of my primary hard disk instead of on the partition I asked it to be installed on. The result was that none of my other partitions were accessable.

Needless to say, I have now removed all traces of BLAG from my system.

If anyone else successfully did what I tried to do, let's hear it!

jebba
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woah, sorry dude.

Anyway, lots of people have installed blag without their clock being set to future-time (including me about NNN times). :)

The clock you can set with `system-config-date`, also in the "menu" (the black star...). It asks you to set the clock first time you boot as well.

I haven't installed grub anywhere but the MBR, as I don't dual boot.

Your MBR can be replaced with a `grub-install` or if you have windoz a `fdisk /mbr` or somesuch (don't use windoz here). You can also use grub to boot other operating systems.

I would even hazard to guess that, well, perhaps, well, you may have done /dev/hda instead of /dev/hda1 when writing grub, for example. But of course I wouldn't push that--it's just a mere suggestion. The vast majority of folks do use the default for grub and it works fine. I'm not sure what your special situation is that requires grub to be written to another location (not to say there aren't good reasons--it's just not common).

I'd be interested to hear if this is reproduceable... ;)

Sooo....we didn't want you anyway :P

-Jeff

weyasey
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you had booted into f***dows then you would have been able to see all your windoze partitions, or mount them in Blag.

Why would anyone want to put Grub anywhere else but the MBR it is a better bootloader than the windoze poor attempt (it loads any OS)

Also in future if you don't know what you're doing please ask either before or after you "F**k up" you will get a better result.

Vas

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/me moved this to Support, since it wasn't an announcement.

It looks more like a troll. ;)

gmike
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

since three days ago i have installed blag three time. and each time i have done it sleeping :lol: you know what i mean. i have 2x windows in the same 200 gb drive all ntfs and 100 gb fat32 partition. i allowed it to install boot record into mbr and again there was no problem.

you may have missed something, blag starts up without showing boot-menu within 3 or 5 seconds if you do not hit any key. this nearly threw me away from blag the first time i installed it. check this out if you still have blag or willing to try again.

hit any key immediately after loading bios info, of course blag comes up after that with request to hit any key if you want to go into {boot} menu

Jason
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who said BLAG was the best thing since sliced bread? Where is the hype? BLAG is easy. You ask if we have managed to do what you tried to do. Do you mean have we managed to install? The answer is yes and plenty of times. Chances are you didn't let BLAG decide what was best for your system and decided to edit your bootloader manually. It is hardly the fault of the OS if a user knows little about what they are doing. I bet you are a troll from a rival distro (geez I wonder who) trying to put down our efforts now you know this place is getting more users due to 30k's release. Well guess what. We will still use BLAG and so will everyone who tries it. Your loss. Good luck with your next distro or will that be crap too.
stevo32
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is nothing but a troll. If you're going to post a topic like this you should at least:

a) detail the issues
b) not make false claims
c) not post it in announcements
d) (most importantly) respond to the topic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gmike wrote:

you may have missed something, blag starts up without showing boot-menu within 3 or 5 seconds if you do not hit any key. this nearly threw me away from blag the first time i installed it. check this out if you still have blag or willing to try again.

hit any key immediately after loading bios info, of course blag comes up after that with request to hit any key if you want to go into {boot} menu

You probably know this already gmike, but if you don't like not being able to see the OS choices menu you can edit the file /boot/grub/menu.lst. Just coment out the line that says, hiddenmenu

I went one step further on my machine and moved the Windows entry above the BLAG to make Windows the default OS to boot. I have to share this PC with other family members who can't live without Windows :( .

David

Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP