BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:33 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 11:17 pm 

Hello all.....I cannot seem to switch between desktop environments....I like ICEWM if i want to do something quick and fast, but the sessions icon doesnt do anything. Is it possible to start another desktop env. from console???? I tried right clicking on desktop hoping the menu choice would come up for all the other desktop environments but it doesnt! Any suggestions? ? ? ? ? ? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 1:48 am 
Site Admin

When you log in (assuming graphical login), you can choose "Session" at the bottom and then pick icewm or whatever else.

-Jeff

Post subject: forgotten user password
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 11:09 am 

I beleive that the problem is I cannot use those graphical login screens where you have to login as a USER. I set it up when i installed BLAG to automatically log me on as USER and I FORGOT the damn PASSWORD! I remember my root password but I cant use those other logon screens that give you a choice at bottom.....is there any way I can recover my lost user password? ? ? ? ? ? ? I have tried everything and I just cant get the right one! Usually I use my 2 initials in my name [rr] . I dont understand the GDM setup. On the first tab it says "General" and under "Greeter" it is set for both graphical greeter for local and remote. Automatic logon as user is checked. The next tab, under standard greeter i have a photo but where is it supposed to be shown at logon? Graphical greeter, the next tab is set for bluecurve, but when you use auto logon, it bypasses these 3 choices [bluecurve, circles and happy gnome]. So ifyou could help me with recovering my lost user password and setting up GDM the way i want it, it would be great!!!!! Thanks...bob :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 3:23 pm 
Site Admin

Lost password:

1) log in as root, or `su` to it:
Code:
su -

2) Change the password for user "rr" (that's your username, ya?)
Code:
passwd rr

That will change rr's password, so you can do the regular login screens and pick a desktop. You'll have to uncheck "automatic login" or whatever.

-Jeff

Post subject: username and password
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 3:26 pm 

No my username is "bob" and I had thought i selected for a user password my initials "rr" but that is not right. I dont know what my user [bob] password is. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 3:31 pm 
Site Admin

Then just run:
Code:
passwd bob

as root and it will change the password.

Post subject: OK!
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 3:34 pm 

Thanks I fixed that....I am writing down all these things so I have a collection of trouble shooting procedures in case I run into something again.......thanks for helping me with this....bob :D