FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
Capture TV?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johncb
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:21 am    Post subject: Capture TV? Reply with quote

I downloaded this yesterday, after a bit of trouble. I liked what I saw, but am amazed there is no tv capture prgramme included, especially as this is very much geared to multimedia. I do a lot of catpturing and as BLAG comes with FFMPEG & Transcode, I was eager to try both. I tried to install Xawtv but was not able to bring up a console window inside the xawtv folder I downloaded. Could someone maybe tell me how to do this. Also, is it possible to download and use KDE? Hope to hear and thanks in advance.
jebba
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tvtime is the successor to xawtv. I'm not sure if it can capture though, as I don't have the hardware.

mplayer /can/ capture v4l and v4l2 devices, but the current build in blag cannot. I've tested FreshRPMS forthcoming mplayer package, and it is now working. When there is a final release of that, I'll put it in the repository. Or you could grab it from freshrpms testing directory.

I'm not sure what mythtv uses, but if there is a specific application in there that can record, I can add it to the blag repository.

I'd suggest installing tvtime and then recording with ffmpeg.

Code:
apt-get update
apt-get install tvtime ffmpeg

-Jeff

jebba
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, it is possible to download & install KDE, but its quite a large download. Something like this should get you going:

Code:
apt-get update
apt-get install kdeadmin kdeartwork kdebase kdegraphics kdelibs kdemultimedia kdenetwork kdeutils

You can also search for other kde packages:

Code:
apt-cache search kde

Or simply run synaptic and check off a bunch of KDE things. :)

-Jeff

Johncb
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:53 am    Post subject: Capture TV Reply with quote

Many thanks for the speedy replies! As far as I know, it is not possible to capture with FFMPEG, which I have on Kanotix. I have downloaded xawtv as a debian package and am going to try that. I want to try Transcode and am simply unable to install it on Kanotix. I will have a go with KDE as well, so thanks once again. John.
jebba
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

transcode is in blag. I don' t think a debian package of xawtv will work. You could look for it here: http://rpmseek.com

I'm almost certain you can capture with ffmpeg. Run:

Code:
man ffmpeg

To learn more about it.

Johncb
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject: Capture TV Reply with quote

Thanks once again for the help. I will have to go into ffmpeg a bit more as the capture set-up looks complicated! Does BLAG use rpm then and not debian?
jebba
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLAG is based on Fedora Core 3, so it is RPM-based.

It can use apt-get as well, but it is a wrapper around RPM.

Basically, if you are looking for a package that is not in blag nor in it's repos, try to find one that works with Fedora.

-Jeff

Johncb
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK thanks a lot for all the help and am going to try later.
stuffit
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be usefull to try Kino which is already in Blag for capturing.

Also take a look at Avidemux available here:
http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/

this is a good thread about video and linux conversions

http://avidemux.berlios.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1049

Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP