BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:51 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:31 am 

Heya, first post and it's under the Support index - typical me :oops:

I'm relatively new to Linux as a whole, running a dual-boot setup with Windows XP Home and the current BLAG 30000 distro. I've tried several other distros before happening across the BLAG site after reading this review - I'd just like to say it's fantastic, suits my needs perfectly, the fact that it all fits onto one disk will help me to pass the distro around to mates. (Trying to all make the shift to open-source, getting tired of relying upon Microsoft for even the simplest operation).

As the subject hints, the problem's concerning BLAG not recognising my Speedtouch USB modem as a DSL/ppp peripheral. I've searched the Support forums here and managed to find this.

I've also googled it, best prospect seemed to be this.

Bear with me here, I'm learning this all as I go, but as I gather it I think I need two things, the correct speedtouch .rpm package for my kernel, (2.6.11-1.14_FC3 on i686 machine), and the correct firmware for my modem, which as I understand it is mgmt.o - I've no problem getting my hands on the firmware file, but I'm at a complete loss as to how I get the .rpm pack that matches the current BLAG kernel - I've found a source .rpm which I think I can compile myself, only problem is I don't believe the single-cd BLAG distro comes equipped with C compilers. (I recall reading that these can be downloaded via the Synaptic utility, but I've got no access to it, being netless and all).

Chances are I'm completely wrong here and somebody will sigh, tell me I've been going in completely the wrong direction and push me toward the correct one :oops: if I'm on the right track though, is there a speedtouch .rpm pack floating around for my kernel that I just haven't found yet, or do I really have to compile my own? If so, how exactly do I go about that?

Thanks for your time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 4:20 am 
Site Admin

I don't have one of these modems, but this page appears to document what you need:
http://www.linux-usb.org/SpeedTouch/fedora/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:36 am 

I'll try this mate, thanks.