FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
Odd install problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
joepotter
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:19 pm    Post subject: Odd install problem Reply with quote

Hello All,

I used Red Hat for a long time, but switched to Debian some years ago. I like the sound of Blag, so I am giving it a try. I have two disks in this box and had multiple distros on the box. All were Debian based.

I gave disk two to Blag and wanted to keep the data in /home so I had it format / and leave /home alone. Oddly, the installer set up the /etc/fstab to use Labels rather that /dev/hdb3 (as an example) rather than call the partition by name.

Well, a partition on hda is labeled /home as well as the /home on hdb !!! Now that is bad news. It took me a 30 minutes to decide that deamons from FreeBSD has not invaded my computer.

Oh well, I fixed the /etc/fstab of Blag to explicitly name the partitions and all is well. Am I the first to whine about this?

So far, the thing looks good. I like that you set up apt from the start --- that is why I am willing to leave the safety of Debian to try out the RPM world again.

jebba
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, I think at around FC1 they started using Labels instead of actual partition names. It works better for moving disks around if you only have one distro installed. But if you have a bunch, it's more of a pain. You did the correct thing--just edit /etc/fstab (& maybe grub.conf).

I haven't seen others complain about this, but I've encountered it myself as the devel box has lots of blag releases installed on it. Soooo....it's probably not going to change.

-Jeff

joepotter
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebba wrote:
... I haven't seen others complain about this, but I've encountered it myself as the devel box has lots of blag releases installed on it. Soooo....it's probably not going to change.

-Jeff

Thanks. I am glad to hear it is not just me. I had no trouble with grub since booting is controlled through the main distro, Debian.

The largest problem so far is that the packages have slightly different names and are in different places in synaptic. I suppose a fellow can live with that.

Thanks again.

Regards, Joe

jebba
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joepotter wrote:
The largest problem so far is that the packages have slightly different names and are in different places in synaptic. I suppose a fellow can live with that.

Ya...again, same here. ;)

Debian's setup of apache seems whack to me, but I'm used to FC/RH or custom compiles. Its like you're in a country where you speak the just language enough.... The init.d setup is very different too--oh, and network configuration files. I prefer FC `chkconfig` but deb`s /etc/network/interfaces... Debian's installer certainly leaves something to be desired, unless you really know GNU.

Here's some RPM commands, to refresh your memory:

Code:
rpm -q streamtuner
rpm -qi streamtuner
rpm -ql streamtuner
rpm -qf `which streamtuner`

Later,

-Jeff

Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP