BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:29 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 8:13 pm 

Hello All .
Sorry for posting one after another.. :)
I had something hit me that BLAG could possess, that would give it an edge.
1) A good GUI design for a BLAG specific DTP package
2) running off Gnome is good, but what about a Suite that holds all the tools novices could use to do some cool stuf.
3) A good WYSIWYG html / Graphics / Web layout tool, like the Macromedia Studio Suite
4) A graphic designers raster based editor GIMP lacks CMYK abilities, and some ease of use features for those of us not tech enuff
That it 4 now
Gotta Work Let me know if I'm not alone on this
Rock

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 3:56 am 
Site Admin

Hello,

RockAnderson wrote:
1) A good GUI design for a BLAG specific DTP package

Have you tried Scribus?

http://www.scribus.net/

RockAnderson wrote:
2) running off Gnome is good, but what about a Suite that holds all the tools novices could use to do some cool stuf.

What tools are you after? As far as I can tell Gnome doesn't lack anything critical found either in Windows or Mac. If you mean a suite like Macromedia Suite then I am unaware of one existing. However with Windows I never used Macromedia apps together anyways. So seperate apps for seperate jobs is what I am used to and I haven't noticed any difference.

RockAnderson wrote:
3) A good WYSIWYG html / Graphics / Web layout tool, like the Macromedia Studio Suite

Mozilla Composer has WYSIWYG capabilities.

Also here is a review of IMB Homepage Builder.

http://www.linuxlookup.com/html/reviews ... re4.0.html

I haven't tried it myself since I write the HTML but give it a go and see if it helps you.

RockAnderson wrote:
4) A graphic designers raster based editor GIMP lacks CMYK abilities, and some ease of use features for those of us not tech enuff

GIMP has a CMYK plugin you can use.

http://www.blackfiveservices.co.uk/separate.shtml

Good luck and I hope you find something you like.

Post subject: Software
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 2:59 pm 
Hello Jason :)
I have tried scribus, on different linux distros, and it has all the capabilities of Quark, or Indesign, I'm thinking more along the lines of something that has good stability when it comes to doing muli-page pieces.
The Macromedia Suite I used in college and in some other jobs has a vector, WYSIWYG editor, and a web gfx program all in one. I've tried other software like the Adobe stuff, but alas I can't afford it.
I really want to use Linux as my choice for Graphic Design, but I'm not to tech when it comes to making it all work. Many of the clients I do pieces for want thier stuff yesterday, so I don't have a lot of time to get to know the OS, or software.
I don't like the IBM WYSIWYG editor, iit uses Wine, and if I wanted emulation then I would just get the real deal so to speak.
In a couple of days I'll post my thoughts on a GUI design and software Suite I see BLAG could use to get the Graphic Designers who aren't to tech.

Untill then Peace :)