FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
Login Error (AbiWord)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkred
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: Login Error (AbiWord) Reply with quote

OK new to linux (again) have tried losts of the latest (updated) distro's and this is the best one.....easily.....very nice.
Everything works straight out of the box (Network, Printer, Scanner, Camera, SD/MMC/MS/Compact Flash....I could go on). Bye Bye M$.
That said I don't know why NTFS file systems aren't loaded by default.
Anyway I loaded OOO and removed AbiWord but now everytime I login I get an error message "Failed to load image abiword_48.png" "Details: file not found".
I guess this is and easy fix for anyone who knows how???????
Cheers,
Darkred.
Hope this is in the right forum by the way.

jebba
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Login Error (AbiWord) Reply with quote

darkred wrote:
OK new to linux (again) have tried losts of the latest (updated) distro's and this is the best one.....easily.....very nice.
Everything works straight out of the box (Network, Printer, Scanner, Camera, SD/MMC/MS/Compact Flash....I could go on). Bye Bye M$.

Cool. Nice. :)

darkred wrote:
That said I don't know why NTFS file systems aren't loaded by default.

Its not part of the stock kernel for patent reasons (i believe). You can get drivers at http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/
See these docs too:
http://wiki.blagblagblag.org/NTFS

darkred wrote:
Anyway I loaded OOO and removed AbiWord but now everytime I login I get an error message "Failed to load image abiword_48.png" "Details: file not found".
I guess this is and easy fix for anyone who knows how???????

Its probably because it was set up as an icon on your panel (?). One way would be to run:
Code:
apt-get update
apt-get install abiword

Then remove the icon from the panel, then remove abiword. It doesn't hurt to have abiword just sitting there, by the way. If abiword wasn't installed at install time, this error wouldn't come up (I believe).

darkred wrote:
Hope this is in the right forum by the way.

Yep!

-Jeff

darkred
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the fast reply.
You are right of course. In fact the abiword icon was still on the panel, just with a picture of a gnome foot instead (hence the error message) which is why I hadn't noticed it (that's the story I'm sticking to).......gone now.
I tried my best with abiword and thanks for including it, but it sadly doesn't do some of the things I need.
Also yes I have already followed the NTFS setup link (thanks to this forum) which worked a treat.
As much as I really dont want to I have to keep a bit of hda for XP because my bank will only let me use IE6.

r7
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: abiword and them damn banks Reply with quote

darkred wrote:
I tried my best with abiword and thanks for including it, but it sadly doesn't do some of the things I need.

like what for instance?

darkred wrote:
As much as I really dont want to I have to keep a bit of hda for XP because my bank will only let me use IE6.

again which bank? most of the uk banks will allow you to use something else, if you argue for long enough [my experience here extends to abbey national/cahoot, co-op/smile, nationwide and a couple of others]. i also believe that rbs/natwest account are mozillable -- if that's a real word. they are complete bastards about this and need hassling. fancy being an arsey customer?

r7 [ex-rbs employee [eek!]]

Jason
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: abiword and them damn banks Reply with quote

darkred wrote:

I believe this must be false. There are accessibility guidelines in place now. I know for sure Nationwide and Halifax both work fine with Firefox. It didn't used to but government slaps on wrist work wonders. What bank were you referring to?

darkred
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your both right. Bank=firstdirect.
I was trying to use their "internet banking plus" sevice which only works with IE5.5 and above with ActiveX. However I tried using their regular internet banking service and that works fine with firefox.....cool.
I've just reloaded blag from scratch, completely removing any trace M$ which is making me smile....thanks.

r7
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: a result Reply with quote

darkred wrote:
Your both right. Bank=firstdirect.

just another brand of corporate scum ;-)

darkred wrote:
However I tried using their regular internet banking service and that works fine with firefox.....cool.

cool indeed.

darkred
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darkred wrote:

like what for instance?

I have some docs with tables in them. The right hand column of the table contains numbers and I want a SUM of the column above to be dispayed at the bottom of that column (hope that makes sense). Cant see that this feature exists in abiword. Anyway I know what you're thinking "use a spreadsheet" and you'd be right I guess.

haven't worked out how to format this forum stuff yet....sorry. :?

Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP