BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:17 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: adobe pagemaker
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 2:07 pm 

Does anyone know if there is an equivalent to adobe pagemaker in the free software arena?

hoppy72
Altoona, Pa.

Post subject: Re: adobe pagemaker
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 2:16 pm 

hoppy72 wrote:
Does anyone know if there is an equivalent to adobe pagemaker in the free software arena?

you might want to have a look at scribus, which is part of blag 30000.

http://www.scribus.org.uk/

Last edited by r7 on Wed May 04, 2005 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: adobe pagemaker
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 2:20 pm 

r7 wrote:
you might want to have a look at scribus, which is part of blag 30000.

forgot to mention, if you've not got installed already, you can with:

Code:
apt-get update && apt-get install scribus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 8:10 pm 
I played with Scribus a little but it did not appear to have the functionality that adobe pagemaker has. It reminded me more of microsoft publisher. I may just need to go back and give it a closer look. As the adage says, "if all else fails, read the directions." I'm not real up on the graphics thing, just trying to help out the church ladies with some flyers for a banquet. Thanks for the input and I'll go back and work with Scibus some more and see where it goes...

Hoppy72
Altoona, Pa.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 8:42 pm 

Hoppy72 wrote:
I played with Scribus a little but it did not appear to have the functionality that adobe pagemaker has. It reminded me more of microsoft publisher.

mmmm... i think that's a bit harsh. i've fed my kids and kept a roof over my head for the last fifteen years on the back of pagemaker and quarkxpress [the latter is far better imho].

publisher is one of the most detestable pieces of software ever created. at work, if an advertiser provides "camera ready on disc" as a publisher file, they get charged for layout, coz i have to redo it.

scribus is way better than publisher -- it uses an established metaphor for layout. in many ways it is a quark clone -- but quark is a very powerful and widely-used piece of software. it can good do good typography, you can do neat stuff with text and graphic boxes, it separates colours properly. if i only had access to a linux box, i could earn a living with it. it's nearly ready for prime-time in my book.

i would be interested to know what you feel scribus can't do that pagemaker can.

Hoppy72 wrote:
I may just need to go back and give it a closer look. As the adage says, "if all else fails, read the directions." I'm not real up on the graphics thing, just trying to help out the church ladies with some flyers for a banquet. Thanks for the input and I'll go back and work with Scibus some more and see where it goes...

i'd persevere :-)

...and if we can help, just ask.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 12:40 am 

I bow to your experience and expertise in the matter. As I said, I am not a graphics person.
I'm basing my judgements on minimal time with adobe and almost no time with Scribus. If you tell me Scribus is as good as quarkexpress or Pagemaker; then I accept that and extend my apologies for any negative reflections on your livelihood. I will make it a point to spend some time with Scribus and really try to learn it. I'm sure that is most of the problem. Give the kids a extra hug and let me leave you in peace.

Hoppy72
Altoona, Pa.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 10:42 am 

hi there

I am intending on using scribus for some workshops over the next couple of weeks so might be able to help soon.

The most important thing is to make sure you have a good set of fonts *properly* installed as this is by far the biggest issue with linux and DTP

There is a really usefull website here

http://docs.scribus.net/

which should help you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 2:14 pm 

hi have just done a couple of workshops using scribus and all i can say is that is has far surpassed expectations! The other important factor is that we are using blag 30 and the improved workflow in terms of ease of use of navigating the filesystem in gnome and also the *big* improvements in Gimp mean that it is a hell of a lot easier to work quicker, especially between applications

I've got together a PDF tutorial (its basically a reworked one from the scribus site) and the actual examples are quite simple but once you get your head around the basic principles (which i think can be the hardest part of learning an app) then it should be a lot easier to make more complex pieces

check out

http://www.art.org/scribus/dtp.pdf (2.1MB)

its made in openoffice so if anyone wants that let me know. Am also intending on putting it on the twiki if it would be of use? btw i only got the pdf to display properly with gpdf, dunno why.

ste

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 8:57 pm 
Site Admin

Ya, put it in the wiki. Like here:
http://wiki.blagblagblag.org/Scribus

Then we can have that page be a collection of notes & links about scribus. :)

Thanks & nice one,

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 9:37 am 

hi that previous link is offline for a while so use the following:

http://www.stuffit.org/scribus/dtp.pdf (pdf)

http://www.stuffit.org/scribus/dtp.sxw (openoffice)