FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
BLAG for graphic design

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RockAnderson
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 8:05 pm    Post subject: BLAG for graphic design Reply with quote

BLAG is Great !!
Had to get that out first and for most....
GNU/BLAG is a great variant from the other distros, but I have to ask this one thing.
Will anyone produce a distro that has all the tools a graphic designer needs. In colloge I
used a Mac, then a PC, now for my business I chose LINUX because of cost reasons.

BLAG is the only distro that has the graphic software, but they lack some Ummphh.
I know that the Linux community is a contributed effort, and I belivee that if a distro, could cover the DTP portion of the computer world then that distro would be the SHXX !! :)

I like BLAG and what you have done, I ask if you plan to make the distro a graphic designers distro.
Keep up the good work....

jebba
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For DTP, see scribus. It comes with blag.

Any other apps you'd like to see?

Rock
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 3:33 pm    Post subject: BLAG 4 Graphic Designers Reply with quote

Hello jebba
I know to keep the distro small [I love The One CD Deal] you have to leave certain things out. I would love a Fireworks, like program. A good drawing app. Maybe a PS clone that supports CMYK out the box :). I was thinking that you might have a supplemental CD that a user could DL that has a BLAG GFX SUITE.
I was thinking something like BLArtist (A Vector drawing app with more capabilities than Sodipodi), then BLAGoto (a raster photo program, but with DTP in mind, based off CMYK, and pantone), BLAGWorks (a we gfx program that uses the PNG format, and has the capabilities of Macromedia Fireworks), last but not least BLAver (a web WYSIWYG editor like DreamWeaver).
I don't believe that having you do all this and not support you Linux Distro is good. If I had comparable software that I could push out there, and show other graphic design houses that Linux has come a long way, in terms of use and software apps, the BLAG could get finical support from us (Graphic Designers), versus giving all our money to companies that could care less about us.

Rock Anderson

jebba
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't think it is in the cards for blag to crank out it's own suite of graphics applications. BLAG is a blag of what's out there.

For vector graphics sodipodi looks quite nice. There is inkscape as well, which is a sodipodi fork. In openoffice there is a drawing application. What is sodipodi lacking? Perhaps these could be communicated to the developer. GIMP 2.0 is out, and is quite an improvement over gimp 1. I will be making this available for blag very soon.

For HTML, I recommend bluefish (not wysiwyg) or mozilla's composer, which is pretty decent.

As to the idea of a second CD, look around this forum for info on apt-get and downloading additional software from the repository. You may just need the repository and not another CD.

Free Software :)

Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP