FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
mini HOW-TO add an entry in the sessions list

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jBarry
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 7:48 am    Post subject: mini HOW-TO add an entry in the sessions list Reply with quote

Hello EveryBlaggers

This mini How-to will guide you on adding an entry in the sessions list (that thing that come up when you click Session in the GDM prompt). Thou I have used these steps on my machine without fail I´m not saying it is perfect (I have tried it with WindowMaker and Enlightenment). So if you find a flaw pls post a reply stating it and the possble fix

1. Most important install the window manager of your fancy (there are so many to choose from, this guide will focus on Enlightenment). The topic on how to install the window manager is not covered here but can be easily done via synaptic or apt

2. Know the name of the executable that is needed to run your WM (window manager) in E17 case it is simply

enlightenment

3. Fire up a terminal and su to root

Code:

[jbarry@localhost ~]$ su -
Password:
[root@localhost ~]#

then cd to /usr/share/xsessions
Code:

[root@localhost ~]# cd /usr/share/xsessions/
[root@localhost xsessions]#

this directory stores all the session files that is already in your current setup so in my case I´ll do an ls to see the curently available sessions

Code:

[root@localhost xsessions]# ls
blackbox.desktop       windowmaker.desktop
gnome.desktop          xfce4.desktop
[root@localhost xsessions]#

as you can see they are files with desktop as the file extension, what we needed to do is either copy one of these and make modifications or simply start from an empty file We´ll start from zero so that it more fullfilling???

5. open up an editor (in this case I´ll use nano

Code:
nano enlightenment.desktop

what that command basically says is open nano and open up the file enlightenment, now since we still dont have that file nano will create a new one for us

6. type the following

Code:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Enlightenment
Exec=enlightenment
TryExec=enlightenment
Type=Application

Now press ctrl - o to save and ctrl-x to exit. We have just created a new sessions file. I would like to point out for those curious the insides of the other desktop files are very different from the one weve just made ours is the bare minimun while theirs understands other languages. Also on step two I ask you to know the executable name of the WM because you put it in the exec line and the TryExec line (see above) So lets say that you want WindowMaker you should instead put
Code:

Exec=wmaker
TryExec=wmaker

Are we clear?
Now the Name line is what the user will see when they click on the session thingy

6. Setup the proper permissions of the file so that users can access them

Code:
chmod 755 enlightenment.desktop

7. YOUR DONE, logoff and try to see your handiwork, then laugh out loud (now seriously this is the most IMPORTANT part) then shout I´m the KING OF THE WORLD

jBarry
john maclean
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good! Wiki this, man 8)

Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP