BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:39 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 9:09 pm 
Site Admin

A BLAG 30001 release is currently in the works. It will include all updates from the repositories, plus a fixed installer for those who had issues with the partitioning. So post all of your suggestions here. :) :) :)

Thanks,

Stephen Clement

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 9:17 pm 
Site Admin

* DarwinStreamingServer may be dropped

* gtk-gnutella may be added

* a sipphone of some sort (linphone?) may be added

* a new kernel (forthcoming from Fedora, we believe) will be included

* new parted (to fix an anaconda install issue--a well known bug in FC3 https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/sh ... ?id=138419 )

* likely new firefox & mozilla

* new graveman

* lots of dag/freshrpms updates (e.g. xine mplayer)

There will be no major changes, just fixes, but if you want something tweaked, speak soon! :)

-Jeff

Post subject: something to check...
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 6:27 pm 
I tried to add packages (qtparted) using synaptic (i think) from BLAg30k but it wanted to find the package from a disc called 29999.something.

I assume I could fix it myself but I'm sure how, so it'd be cool if that could be tweaked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 1:57 am 
Site Admin

Sounds like you were running an older beta & running `Add Remove Programs` or something like that, which is quite suck. Synaptic is much nicer and is in the menu under System Settings. Or you can just do it manually:

Code:
apt-get update
apt-get install qtparted

You can update your system thusly:

Code:
apt-get update
apt-get dist-ugprade

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 11:47 am 
Hi Jeff, can we have quodlibnet player, Rhythmbox is suffering from memory leaks,me think s we need another player for mp3s until the problem is fixed.

thanks guys

Vasco

Post subject: iso
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 2:23 pm 
jebba wrote:
Sounds like you were running an older beta & running `Add Remove Program.

I don't think so. This was offof an image that I downloaded from the home page last Thursday. But I'll try the command line stuf (if I ever get my modem working :oops: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 4:35 pm 
Why use rhythm box? Xmms is already included with blag and plays mp3s fine :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 12:55 am 
xmms is nice, use it all the time when. mplayer uses less resources though, (i think). May I second the suggestion of a sipphone? Linphone is already in 30k, (nantes).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 6:28 am 
Site Admin

Anonymous wrote:
Hi Jeff, can we have quodlibnet player,

What is quodlibnet? Zero hits in google...

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 3:54 am 

stevo32 wrote:
A BLAG 30001 release is currently in the works. It will include all updates from the repositories, plus a fixed installer for those who had issues with the partitioning. So post all of your suggestions here. :) :) :)

Thanks,

Stephen Clement

how about a mozilla icon instead of just fire fox all i get in the menue is a shortcut to mozilla mail

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 10:21 pm 
Site Admin

observer7 wrote:
stevo32 wrote:

Thanks,

Stephen Clement

how about a mozilla icon instead of just fire fox all i get in the menue is a shortcut to mozilla mail

Fixed as of last night. The fix will make it into the 30001 release.

Thanks,

Stephen Clement

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 2:07 am 

Is Blag optimized for i386, or i686. Just a thought as I dont believe there are that many 386's still in use. For that matter, to the experts, does it make a dramatic improvement in regards to this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 4:31 am 
Site Admin

apteryx wrote:
Is Blag optimized for i386, or i686. Just a thought as I dont believe there are that many 386's still in use. For that matter, to the experts, does it make a dramatic improvement in regards to this.

This is quite an endless thread on fedora-devel. glibc and the kernel are optimized for i386 or i686. The rest is optimized for P4s, but still runs on i386. Basically luminaries like Alan Cox say that the packages are well optimized and benchmarks show that rebuilding specifically for i686 won't speed things up.

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 3:25 pm 

Well, just from previous experience (1 day with Blag so far!!), I would suggest two things:

- madwifi driver installed by default (there are a lot of cards that run the Atheros chipset, especially integrated wireless on laptops).
- just one simple tool to scan available networks and log on to one (nothing to sniff out WEP passwords or nothing like that).

That's all! I love blag!!!! Thank you so much!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 9:26 pm 

Good Point. I second the madwifi drivers. While not that hard to install seperately, They are very widely used. I really dont know why they are not included with the Fedora Core for that matter.