BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:47 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 9:49 pm 
Site Admin

apteryx wrote:
Good Point. I second the madwifi drivers. While not that hard to install seperately, They are very widely used. I really dont know why they are not included with the Fedora Core for that matter.

Why aren't they in the main kernel tree should be the real question. I don't know. I don't think they have proprietary firmware (like the intel chips).

I'm a bit hesitant to start including third party kernel modules in blag as we've been down that road before...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 2:58 am 
Site Admin

Yes, it's a major reason the 10k1 release is being heavily delayed and never may occur. We'd like to not have to manage that again.

Post subject: little things
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:01 pm 

irssi-I like when I don't have to go get it since I'm stuck on dial-up; it's on a different repository that doesn't behave as well as the blag one does. I don't use X-Chat since I'm an old dog.

wmbubble-it's a bitch to track down this WindowMaker dockapp sometimes, it's often mislabled, but it's supposed to just be a duck floating in water with bubbles representing cpu usage, water-depth representing RAM usage, and a duck for no reason at all but to entertain my girlfriend.

An alternative to using the redhat-network-foo GUI tools for networking. They've gotten better since the last release, but they're still buggy with setting up PPP which of course I notice since I'm stuck on dial-up because of location. Even though it uses wvdial as the backend, it doesn't always work right, especially if you try to reconfigure a connection or delete one, you end up having to go into /etc/ppp and fix its mistakes and you have to delete /etc/wvdial.conf to really erase things. If you try to use wvdial manually now the SELinux slaps your hand. Certain settings in the GUI tools won't change no matter what, you can't really fine-tune anything for cranky ISPs, The Network Device Control app crashes when I try to disconnect sometimes...I could go on and on. Maybe the pppconfig tool from Debian?

ck-sources

really just icing on the cake, hehheh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:02 am 
Site Admin

I've used Damn Small Linux, (DSL), a couple of times and they use Debian's ppp tools. They're quite good. Search for ppp on this list of DSL packages. http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/packages.html

Post subject: irssi & bitlbee
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:18 am 

escapenguin wrote:
irssi-I like when I don't have to go get it since I'm stuck on dial-up; it's on a different repository that doesn't behave as well as the blag one does. I don't use X-Chat since I'm an old dog.

yes yes yes yes yes yes. and can i also make a plea for bitlbee too, in combination with any irc client [irssi by choice for me] it means you don't have to run gaim [or some such] for im as well [and it's little].

Post subject: foobillard!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:56 am 

would be cool to see in the games menu. very neat pool / snooker physics, AI isn't brilliant and it's a bit of a resource hog, but it's the amongst the better ways i've found of wasting company time!

here: http://foobillard.sunsite.dk/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:32 pm 

Yeah, bitlbee isn't a crashalicious mess now, so I think it's worth including. Foobillard is a surprisingly good game...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:36 pm 

any idea how long ? fedora 4 has been delayed and there are some politics going on with the new established fedora team . i think if we just update packages like abiword compiled to the fedora 3 kernel and kinda skip the fedora 4 might be a good idea but thats up to you. this is as great a distro thats out ...blags version is better than fedoras . you have improved the whole distro . things like having abiword in one package instead of all the diffrent rpms . good work and again whats the update on 3001

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:45 am 
Site Admin

We planned to do a release last week, but something in the updates is making anaconda flakey... We're putting our finger on it now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 4:34 am 

jebba wrote:
We planned to do a release last week, but something in the updates is making anaconda flakey... We're putting our finger on it now.

and now how close are we getting ?

Post subject: 30001 Release?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:05 am 
Is this going to happen, or are you just getting ready for a major release. I've been waiting for a while hoping to put off installing until the bug-fix release happened. Any news?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:31 am 
Site Admin

Well, we had one built but some last second "issues" made it too ugly to label 30001 (uh, we were so close we had even copied it to the ftp server, but never made it readable...).

There will be a 30k1 before a 40k, although a 40k alpha (based on fedora core 4 test) was built awhile back.

Anyway, if you just `apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade` you'll basically have 30k1 anyway. :)

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:14 pm 

I'm not a computer whiz, so this question may be stupid and out of line, but on the 30k1 release, will the issues with selinux and the volume control be addressed? Im learning, but I don't have the skill level to correct some of these kind of issues without having my hand held the whole way, so I unfairly count on the rest of you to babysit me. Blag is just too great as a desktop not to use, even if someone is computer illiterate....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:55 pm 
Site Admin

hoppy, it will have a new kernel, which may majickally fix your sound problem. But there is no way for me to know whether it will fix it or not. It's not like it's a general problem everyone is seeing. It's specific to your setup somehow, ya know?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:51 pm 

Yea, I understand what you mean. I know better, but sometimes a fella does kinda hope there is a quick fix for everything or someone can just say do this, this, and the other thing and voila!!, problem solved. Too bad life isn't that way. It won't kill me to put a little effort into solving the problem for once. Thanks for the response to a less than perfect question.