BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:26 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 11:25 am 

hi people

i've just installed 30000 on an old heap i use to play mp3s in my workshop, and i like it, so i was gonna try it on the main computer which runs mdk 10.1.

i'd like to dual boot with mdk and windoze, but i don't trust myself with the disk druid and i really really don't want blag to eat mdk. any tips? my disks are summat like this:

hda:

|| 20gb winXP || 20gb / ||swap|| 70gb /home ||

hdb:

|| 120gb mp3s etc (fat32) ||

there's lots of room for blag, but i dunno where's best to put it.

also, one thing i love about mdk, is urpmi. is blag's equivalent easy enough to use? like, setting the repositories and stuff?

one more thing - can i use nvidia's video drivers? they work fine on mdk with a bit of persuasion, will the same ones work in blag without too much fiddling?

sorry for the randomness, but any pointers would be much appreciated :)

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 1:55 am 
Site Admin

I'll leave the partitioning Q for others. Personally, I'd just overwrite windows. :)

pistonbrew wrote:
also, one thing i love about mdk, is urpmi. is blag's equivalent easy enough to use? like, setting the repositories and stuff?

BLAG uses apt-get and/or yum. You can also use the GUI tool Synaptic in the menu to install/remove things from the repository.

Check around the forums for lots of examples on how to use them.

pistonbrew wrote:
one more thing - can i use nvidia's video drivers? they work fine on mdk with a bit of persuasion, will the same ones work in blag without too much fiddling?

Best place is to probably get them from atrpms.net. This is probably in the forums & maybe in the wiki too.

Have fun,

-Jeff

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 12:51 pm 

jebba wrote:
I'll leave the partitioning Q for others. Personally, I'd just overwrite windows. :)

i hear ya, but it's the only way to get my crappy aldi scanner to work :(

anyway, i chucked a spare disk in there, installed blag and everything's hunky dory except web pages taking ages to load - supspect i need to set up the DNS bobbins, i'll just have to see how they were set up in mandrake. and get my head around gnome.

especially like the preloaded firefox bookmarks
can we have some AR ones in there too? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 6:44 pm 
Site Admin

FF/Mozilla default to doing IPv6 DNS lookups first. If you go to the URL "about:config" you can disable this, for a bit of a speedup when you first hit pages.

AR?

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 7:33 am 

jebba wrote:

AR?

-Jeff

cool, will give it a whirl.

animal rights, btw.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 7:53 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
BLAG uses apt-get and/or yum. You can also use the GUI tool Synaptic in the menu to install/remove things from the repository.

Check around the forums for lots of examples on how to use them.

Or you can look @ these pages:

http://wiki.blagblagblag.org/Synaptic
http://wiki.blagblagblag.org/Apt-get

Quote:
animal rights, btw.

Well, mind providing some links then?

As for your partitioning question, I'd recommend trying something like qtparted. FYI, the knoppix CD's include qtparted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 9:14 pm 

thanks for the pointers. blag is looking better and better as i get used to gnome. i couldn't apt-get nicotine, but i'll get it sussed.

i'm involved with some a.r. groups, i'll ask at the meetings for bookmark suggestions to try and get a wider spread of sites.

cheers!
bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 12:49 am 
Site Admin

nicotine, huh? Well not sure if it's in the repo(sitary). I used `lftp` to look in ftp://blagblagblag.org/pub/mirrors/dag/ ... /RPMS.dag/ . There's a world of stuff in there :lol: You could always use 'synaptic' the gui package managment system, or grab it from the nicotine website. I've tried it a couple of times and it was ok. Got it from thier website.
As for doze.... the guys here will correct me if I'm wrong but I -thnk- you should install that first and *nix after. Doze always seems to overwrite the mbr, (master boot record). Backed up? If you are installing for a 'clean' hdd, ensure to use your doze cd to tell it to format a -percentage- of your actuall hdd space. For instance, you got a 100gb hdd, tell it to format just 9gb :wink: and use *nix for all of the rest. There's parted, qparted and partition magic if you want to 'reshuffle/rejig' your existing partitions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 6:49 am 
i found nicotine 1.0.8 rpms here: http://manta.univ.gda.pl/~mgarski/RPMS/nicotine/ and it installed no probs.

would deffo agree about installing windoze first. actually, it hadn't occurred to limit it to a % of the drive. i've always given it free reign, then squashed it to 10gig with the linux installer, and it hasn't complained yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 10:25 pm 
Site Admin

Alright, here's the deal w/doze:

Windows 98 will overwrite the MBR, Windows NT based versions will not (NT, 2000, XP, 2003, Media Center). It is still recommended that you install windows first.

Thanks,

Stephen Clement