FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
Does any one find thunderbird slow?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
john maclean
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 12:21 am    Post subject: Does any one find thunderbird slow? Reply with quote

I've found thunderbird a tad slow on my machine. I've used sylpheed because of this. Has any one else found t-bird slow? For what it's worth...
Code:
lshw
tp20.lagos               
description: Notebook
vendor: IBM
product: Pentium III (Coppermine)
capacity: 700MHz
ram=512mb

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's not too bad. I used kmail for a long time and have adjusted to thunderbird. Things like sylpheed (and -claws) or balsa or whatever are going to be faster & more lightweight.
stevo32
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using Thunderbird for almost a year and a half now on my Pentium 3 @ 450mhz, 384MB of RAM and I'm finding it to be quite quick. It launches about as fast as firefox does...which is pretty quick. :) I never shut my computer off however, so it probably sits in the cache all the time.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are on DSL it may have something to do with ipv6.
I have had slow host resolution with quite a few distros since getting DSL and was able to fix it in some of them by commenting out my ipv6 protocols.

I've had no such luck with BLAG but it isnt as slow as some of the others - about 5-10secs (whereas others were closer to a minute).

john maclean
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha, so it seems as if I should remove IPV6 from the kernel? This if from /usr/src/linux/linux-2.6.11.9/.config
Code:
# CONFIG_IP_TCPDIAG_IPV6 is not set
# CONFIG_IPV6 is not set

Done that already. Under firefox - preferences - general - connection settings, I've chosen "autodetect connection settings". Any more options?

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To turn off IPv6, you can run:

Code:
echo "alias net-pf-10 off" >> /etc/modprobe.conf

And then reboot.

john maclean
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! Don't want to speak to soon... but thank you! Um, looking at the snippet of the config file, have I removed IPV6 properly? I think that I have.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: advantages of turn off ipv6 Reply with quote

jebba wrote:

Code:

And then reboot.

sometimes t-bird and firefox are running slow on my machine, so I'm considering this option but I want to know more on the advantages (or not) to disable IPV6, how it works in BLAG?

john maclean
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ip6tables was rm'd with `chkconfig --del ip6tables` or something like that. Sticking with claws-mail 'cos it kicketh major butt.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: advantages of turn off ipv6 Reply with quote

v0 wrote:
jebba wrote:

Code:

And then reboot.

sometimes t-bird and firefox are running slow on my machine, so I'm considering this option but I want to know more on the advantages (or not) to disable IPV6, how it works in BLAG?

If you don't know, you probably *aren't* using IPv6 so you can probably run the above command safely. You may get some noise on bootup, but you can run the command John suggests to silence that. I haven't been using this myself lately, fwiw.

Code:
/sbin/chkconfig --del ip6tables

PaskalTop
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: hello. it`s my first post Reply with quote

Is such a topic was not previously on the forum?
CapitannFF
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: interesting topic Reply with quote

+100%
mtnmel
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am happy with Tbird's speed on my average Dell PC.
timer21
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 3:44 am    Post subject: Thunder Bird Reply with quote

Thunder Bird is working great. I've had it on my Toshiba for a few years now and I like the features.
jtucker
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had a problem with Thunderbird being slow. Except for if it was running on my old desktop, then well anything is slow on that thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BLAG Forum Index -> open discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP