BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:50 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Blag is still great
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 4:26 am 

Last year, I first tried Linux, and Blag was my first distro. It was fantastic, but I don't think I was ready for Linux back then. Recently, I revisited Linux, trying Ubuntu, Mandriva, SuSE, PCLinuxOS, Puppy Linux, Yoper, among others. Mepis was the best...

until I revisited Blag--almost perfect out of the box (the only glitch I found was that I had to download Ogle in order to play DVDs--MPlayer wasn't working). Thunderbird and Firefox--my two favorites! Hotplugging flawless.

The best part is that triple-boot actually worked (I wasn't able to get it to work with other distros). I had to do a little bit of grub-tweaking, but now I'm able to tri-boot Windows XP, Blag, and Mepis.

Thanks, Blag people, for making the best distro out there. I can't believe it's not in the top fifty at Distrowatch.com.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 6:01 am 

I also have been meaning to leave a post like this. I as well, have been through nearly 20 different distros. My poor laptop has really been given a workout.

I just keep coming back to Blag. It simply works. With the exception of some xorg.conf additions for 3D, and madwifi for my wireless card, it all works. Consistantly, and reliably.

You all have done a wonderful job, and for that I am grateful, as is my laptop.

Jeff Adams.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:48 am 

I have been playing around with different distros of Linux for 6 or 7 years and have always ended up back in Windows He**. This time I think I've found the "one".

I instlled Blag for the first time a few days ago and am impressed. It has support for all of my important toys (DVD movies, TV tuner, Music, etc). The only thing I haven't found yet is a driver for my printer (Canon Pixma 1500). If there's not one out there now there probably will be shortly. In the mean time if I need to print something I'll use my wife's computer/printer.

The people who put this distro together have done a great job. I may not have to soil my computer with Windows ever again :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:08 am 

Heard a couple guys in class complaining about how "Fedora sucks." So I told them about BLAG, because I know the main problem most likely had to do with up2date or yum, and since you can use apt-rpm with BLAG...or even rsync with the dev stuff, etc.. I like how you can do some little tricks and get server-things up and running faster than you can with Debian, that's insane. Mad props. :wink:

It's also one of the only OSs that doesn't wig out on my new box. Everything else requires heavy modification, or doesn't work at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:49 am 

i replaced mandriva 2005 with blag on my box at work yesterday. which is a big step for me - i don't mind messing around at home, but i need this sucker to work all the time.

i don't really know enough about linux to decide if blag is better than MDK. i think it is, even though i prefer kde, and urpmi. MDK however, mounted my windoz partition and vfat slave drive automatically. blag didn't, and i was forced to learn stuff :shock:

and how much cooler is the name 'blag' than 'mandriva'?

anyway, so far so good. had to replace abiword with OOo (i like abiword better but all my shit's in .sxw), and today i had a panic when i rebooted and X wigged out. for some reason, /home/bob didn't belong to bob anymore, so X couldn't write to /home/bob/.Xauthority. chowned it all back to normal, we'll see how it goes from here.