FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
Poll: how big are your partitions?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

When I install blag I create partitions by....
let the druid automagic it for me
61%
 61%  [ 8 ]
add my own partitions (please elaborate)
38%
 38%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 13

john maclean
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Poll: how big are your partitions? Reply with quote

Chaps,
O'Rielly's "Learning Red Hat Linux", suggests...
/boot approx 50mb
swap= ram *2
/ as much as you can because that's where all of your data is held.

Now I've spoken to ppl at the Blag meet, on irc and seen recent web pages. They all seem to say that the book's recommendations are a guide and one can size one's partitions any way you like. How do you do it?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no "correct" partition size. It really depends on what your needs are.

Swap double the size of your RAM is a common rule of thumb. I've rarely gone that deep into swap though, unless something has gone haywire. If you have a gig of RAM and a 10 gig disk, you may want to only do a gig of swap, for instance. I've run boxes without swap in the past without problem (but not very often). Also, you can allocate a smaller swap partition and then add to it with a swap _file_ later if you want more swap. But if you have a huge drive 2x sounds good.

For some setups (often laptops), I just set up a swap, /boot, and / partition. If you set up a bunch of other partitions, you may have 2 gigs left in /var, for example, but your homedir is full. Having / be basically everything is the most efficient use of space. There's no "wasted" space (my laptops all too often run at 99% full...). This can cause a problem if you completely run out of space though (for example X windows won't start).

For workstations that have lots of space, or especially servers, it's good practice to set up a few separate partitions.

On a workstation, having a separate /home partition means you can do a fresh install (or switch distros) by simply leaving that partition untouched and re-install the OS.

For servers, I like to set up separate partitions for:
/
/boot
swap
/home
/tmp
/var
/usr

And if there is lots of free space left over a "/free" partition which can be re-allocated for another partition (such as /var) if the initial setup appears to have been to small (or you can use LVM of course).

Having a separate /tmp on a server (such as a webserver) helps if something goes haywire (such as an attack) and someone is filling your /tmp dir. It gets contained to just that directory and doesn't bring the box down. The same is true for /var--if your logfiles grow too large, it won't fill up all of / . Or if it's a database server, a separate /var/lib is nice (e.g. for /var/lib/mysql).

Some admins like to setup extra /bin and /sbin partitions. Some take it further and mount those read only (or immutable) for increased security.

So, in sum, there isn't really a "correct" way to partition, but depends on what you are doing, how much disk space you have to work with, and how much work you want to put into getting things well-tweaked.

-Jeff

P.S. That said, I do a bunch of "blagblagblag" automajick installs, which just makes a really basic partitioning setup. But it's quick to do. :)

pistonbrew
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm i'd be interested in knowing how others do this, as i've only ever guessed really. my home box has 2 drives, 40gb & 120gb partitioned as follows:

hda = 40gb
hda1 - 10gb windoz
hda2 - 10gb /
hda3 - 1gb swap (2* RAM)
hda4 - 19gb /home

hdb = 120gb
hdb1 - 120gb vfat (mp3s etc)

my work box has two 120gb drives, and the partitions are the same proportionally, just larger.

stevo32
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 160GB hard drive and have it partitioned like this:

20GB - Windoz
100MB - GRUB
whatever i haven't mentioned - BLAG /
800MB - swap

Next time, I'm seperating /home and /

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo32 wrote:

Next time, I'm seperating /home and /

as mentioned above, it makes reinstallation a piece of the proverbial. which is handy for me, as i'm really good at buggering up my system.

i haven't tried keeping /home when changing distros though. would that work?
when i went from mandrake to blag, i just copied the vital parts of /home to cd, and formatted everything.

qa1433
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,
My drives partitions look like this.
hda1 = Win98 - 2.0Gig vfat :shock:
hda3 = Linux swap -1Gig :lol:
had4 = No OS yet Rieser 4 - 30.5Gig :lol:
hda5 = Win2K / NTFS - 7Gig :oops:
hdd1 = data 30Gig - vfat :wink:
hdd5 = data 20Gig - vfat :wink:
hdd6 = Blag3K / 30Gig ext3 :wink: 8)
Thats how I do it!