FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
Grub help needed.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimisan
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:27 am    Post subject: Grub help needed. Reply with quote

Just installed BLAX 30001 and found it to be very interesting. I would consider myself a newbie in linux. I'm dual booting BLAX with wxp. My problem is : the splash screen allows me only 10 seconds to choose which os to boot. I wish to increase the time to say 60 seconds. How do I do it? I browse through the forum and understand that I need to edit the grub file. When I tried to edit the grub.conf with GUI, it says I've no authority to do it. Can someone be kind enough to guide me step by step? TQ.
Crwyddwr
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to be logged on as the root user to edit the grub.conf file. Open a terminal window (BLAG menu--> system Tools --> Terminal) and type
Code:
su
yourrootpassword
gedit /boot/grub/grub.conf

and you can edit grub.conf from there.

However, if you're dual booting with XP, the windoze boot loader has to sit in the Master Boot Record. You set the default OS and time out peroid by editing C:\boot.ini on your windoze partition. See http://www.geocities.com/epark/linux/grub-w2k-HOWTO.html for a good discussion of dual booting.

rob.linux
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: Grub help needed. Reply with quote

jimisan wrote:
Just installed BLAX 30001 and found it to be very interesting. I would consider myself a newbie in linux. I'm dual booting BLAX with wxp. My problem is : the splash screen allows me only 10 seconds to choose which os to boot. I wish to increase the time to say 60 seconds. How do I do it? I browse through the forum and understand that I need to edit the grub file. When I tried to edit the grub.conf with GUI, it says I've no authority to do it. Can someone be kind enough to guide me step by step? TQ.

In Blag 10K...when the boot loader comes up .....Blag is the default and will load in 7 seconds if do nothing....if I select DOS (windows) the timer shuts off and I have all day to pick my operating system...

Perhaps this is the same in later versions??

Rob

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crwyddwr....Thanks so much for the guidance and link provided. In fact I'm trying to learn more about linux and hoping that eventually I'll rid myself of M$. I've tried many other distributions but still find that BLAX suits my flavour.

BTW Rob.linux....with BLAX 30001 the default will load in 10 seconds if do nothing. When selected you will have all day selecting your choice of OS. Why I wanted to prolong the default is that will booting up and while busy doing something else I still have time to allow me to choose the OS I want booted up.

Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP