FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
Thinking about Blag...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tristian
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: Thinking about Blag... Reply with quote

I have been thinking about using Blag on a "family" computer... The thing is that I am not sure. I need to be able to get things just as Java, Nvidia GFX... working also KDE (my brother will moan if he does not have this installed).

So I am just thinking about it at the moment...

Also does blag have that cool GUI service tool that is included in Fedora?

pistonbrew
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can get java easily with apt-get or using synaptic (gui for apt-get). you can also get the mozilla plug-in for java that way. nvidia have a linux driver now that works with no tweaking.

i know you can run kde but haven't tried it. i thought i would miss kde enough to install it, but gnome works fine for me.

tristian
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been a Fedora user since FC1 came around and I have always enjoyed working with Fedora. I just think its a pain so much is missing due to American law which does not allow Free Software to use free things without paying for them (might be wrong but on those lines away).

I can get Java working and Nvidia under FC3 its not a problem I just like to take cautionary steps before I dive yet into another distro.

I have tried:
Suse 9.1, Mandrake 9.1-10, Knoppix (various), Ubuntu & Kubuntu, Fedora 1-3 + 4 beta, Slackware 10, Gentoo, Vidalinux 1.1, Debian - Sarge

Using all these have gave me a look deep into Linux and I rather have Fedora but it seems blag has what I want. I recently tried it under VMware and its cool the only problem is I ran out of blank CD-Rs and I sent some one to the shop because I was busy an they came back with DVD-R. I do not have a DVD-RW drive on this machine and the one that does is out of order at the moment.

stevo32
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm that the NVidia drivers, Java and KDE all work under BLAG 30000 and the 30001 beta that was produced. :)

Java: http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp and select 'Download JRE 5.0 Update 4' (not any of the other downloads, it's about half way down the page).

NVidia drivers: http://nvidia.com/ (easy to install)

KDE: apt-get install kdebase

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently using blag now. I actually wrote the Wiki page for Nvidia since Fedora Core 3 had problems with Nvidia drivers.

Since blag was based on Fedora or basically is fedora with the unnoficial stuff and a lot less pakages. FC3 had problems with things suck as udev and Mesa with the drivers when you install them.

Well any way my walkthrough is pretty much fool proof.

pistonbrew
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone have the NVidia 7174 driver working with 2.6.11-1.35_FC3?

i just upgraded to that kernel, and after reinstalling 7174 i just get a black screen as x starts :?

tristian
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

see if this works...

http://wiki.blagblagblag.org/Graphic_Cards

I have a Nvidia Geforce FX5200 and it works perfect and it still should be the same as all Geforce cards use the same linux driver.

Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP