BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:06 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: networking
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 3:55 pm 
i`ve been trying linux distros for the past few months, blag is the best i`ve used. however, i am having trouble networking with my xp box, i want to share my internet connection. it has worked with other distro`s. network card is recognised, says the connection is active, but wont connect. any clues for a frustrated newb?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 8:56 pm 
Site Admin

I think a bit more info is needed. What is your setup?

Cable/DSL/modem?
Do you have a hub?
Are the computers connected to one another or via a hub?

Lay out the details for us and I think we'll be in a better position to help.

:)

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 4:33 am 
thanks jeff. i got it working.!!! yay. i`m running a cable modem with a direct connection. i logged in as root and activated the connection and it worked, even when i went back to my user account. i just love blag, it seems to have just the right mix of features, at least for me. i came across it by accident, but am very impressed. keep up the excellent work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 4:36 am 
Anonymous wrote:
thanks jeff. i got it working.!!! yay. i`m running a cable modem with a direct connection. i logged in as root and activated the connection and it worked, even when i went back to my user account. i just love blag, it seems to have just the right mix of features, at least for me. i came across it by accident, but am very impressed. keep up the excellent work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 6:59 am 
Site Admin

Cool. Glad it's going. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:43 pm 

hey.. i seem to have the same or at least a similar problem..
but unfortunally mine wont solve by itself.

i got my windows xp box connected to the internet by cable modem and i want to let my blag (29999.00050) box get online too.
so i plugged in a new network card in both boxes and directly connected them..
i configured everything on windows xp and it sees the connection as active/working, and also blag says the network card is activated.. but still i cannot connect to the internet with it.
i tried to enter the ip of the xp box in the proxy settings in firefox, but it still wouldnt work.. and i dont even know if thats how i should work on my problem, or if there is a much easier solution.

im still kinda new to linux and especially blag.. but usually a fast learner :)

would be great if anyone could help me :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:06 pm 
Site Admin

theMAD,

I don't quite understand your setup. Does it go:

LinuxBox->WindzBox->Internet ?

Like the linux box is plugged into the windoz box? If so, on windoz you'd have to set up some routing or whatever it's called by MS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:57 pm 

I think he want's to bridge the pc's together (Windozs to blag). never tryed that way but the easiest way is buy a cheap router about (20.00 bucks nowadays) and plug and play config there is other ways but a real pain to get it configured right. http://store.yahoo.com/justdeals/en104tpgexr.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:55 pm 

i think you got my setting right:
blag box, still offline, plugged into windows box.. and the windows box is directly connected to internet by cable modem, wich is locked to the mac address of the network card thats in the windows box..

in windows i set the (inter)network card up so that the internet connection was shared within the local network..

i only could use a router if i knew how to change the mac address of it... since my ISP is bound to the one of the card built in to the windows box..

next thing i would try would be to install windows xp on the blag box too, to see if it would work with that.. but i guess that would f*ck up my bootloader there..
and also im sure that there has to be a way to do it with blag.. and i really would like to have it as a system there.. since i want to learn more about linux, and blag seems like a great distro to me :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:18 am 
Site Admin

Ok, the best way to do this would be to do a Bridge Connection. Go into 'Network Connections' on your XP box, select both of the connections using Control(your ISP one and the one that connects to your linux box), right click them and select 'Bridge Connections'. :) Give it a try, and tell us whether or not this works for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:25 am 

thanx for your help stevo!
that seems like the right way to go...
i only got one problem now.. and that is that my ISP is bound to the network card's MAC address..
and the bridge connection uses its own, well basically the same just the first two digits changed from 00 to 02.
so i cannot connect to the internet at all anymore when its bridged.
i tried to change the network bridge's mac address to the valid one with a program i remembered i had, called smac.. but changing it unfortunally didnt work, for whatever reason.. (mac address remained the same)
the program used to work in the past though..

so i guess i need either a program that can change the mac address of the bridge for me or a different solution.. if there even is one.. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:59 am 
Site Admin

theMAD, the setup your talking about can be done with BLAG. But what needs configuringis on the /windoz/ side. Windoz basically has to route or "share" the connection for that. I know nothing about how that is done.

You will also have to do set up a DHCP server on the windoz box OR set up a static IP on the windoz box's ethernet card and an adjacent IP address on the Linux box.

I'd think some XP googling would turn up some HOWTOs, but I don't really know as I never touch windoz.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:47 am 

Was hopping around the net and came a cross this site maybe what your looking for to get your blag and xp working together... Haven't tryed it personally But looks interesting so thought it would be helpful. :D http://windows.gumph.org/content/networ ... linux.html