FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
Kernel Panic

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 4:30 pm    Post subject: Kernel Panic Reply with quote

Hiya,

been using blag for a while and like it a lot. Recently tho' i cant get it to start and keep getting messages like the below during attempts to boot:

UFS: cannot open root device "LABEL=/" or 00:00
please append correct "root=" boot option
kernel panic: VFT: unable to mount root fs on 00:00

Previously when this kernel panic happened i would just reboot and mostly it then worked but now it seldom does and the bootup screen starts looking weird and hardly readable (tho' i can just about make out the kernel panic line at the end) .... any suggestions?

Cheers,

Del.

jebba
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your hard drive sound healthy by any chance? It may be failing.

If it works sometimes and not other times, it points to a hardware issue. May be time for a new drive....thankfully they're getting huger & cheeper. :)

john maclean
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting similar messages and I think that it's a hard drive problem. I put a new hard drive into an old PII box. At boot up the bios messages confirms the master (new hard 10gb hdd) and slave (cd-rom).

I get to make my choices about peripherals, language and what packages to install. Part way through installing the packages I get a message saying something like "read error can't read /dev/dha/" I know that it's a new drive and it does work. could it be an incorrect jumper setting? Bit lost here as I have installed linux onto other machines.

Also I have identified, downloaded and read the manual for my mootherboard and used jumper settings from there.

Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP