BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:30 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:09 pm 

Why is it that every time I try to install something that I need (webcam driver for example) which doesn’t have an RPM etc, with “makeâ€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:24 pm 
Site Admin

I know you find it frustrating.

But let's take that example into the windows world. How about a simple, but old, USB drive I lent someone the other day. My friend goes home, plugs it into his windows system. No drivers. End of story.

Here, at least you have a fighting chance. ;)

I've seen it a zillion times where some piece of hardware has a driver for win98 but not xp or vice-versa and you just can't do a damn thing about it. And the situation is far worse on a mac. People complain about wireless on linux--you should try to get a random pcmcia wireless card going on a mac--good luck.

That said, to hell with mainstream anyways. ;)

Your key line is:
Code:
SDL/SDL.h: No such file or directory

Your solution:

Code:
apt-get update
apt-get install SDL-devel  ImageMagick-devel

And where else would you find better customer support? ;)

(including the up-and-coming galaxy-wide telephone support)

-Jeff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:33 pm 
Site Admin

darkred wrote:
In order to become the worlds OS of choice then shouldn’t everyone in the linux development world agree on One & only One Flavour (FC, Debian, Slackware or whatever)?

I know that unfortunately this will never happen for hundreds of reasons (mainly power struggle).

However there surely has to be some major effort directed at solving this problem.

As to this part....

I don't think it is a power struggle, or at least not entirely. I mean, slackware is pretty similar to what it was way back in 1995. Some people love that, others think it's just terribly user-unfriendly...

The reason behind huge diversity of distros really comes from the zillions of different ways people use gnu/linux. There is no one-size-fits all here. For instance, you were doing a camera driver. Perhaps someone was using that on an embedded system and needed to use it with "damn small linux" or somesuch. The variety of people's needs is quite huge. :)

Ciao,

-Jeff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:48 pm 

darkred wrote:
In order to become the worlds OS of choice then shouldn’t everyone in the linux development world agree on One & only One Flavour (FC, Debian, Slackware or whatever)?

I know that unfortunately this will never happen for hundreds of reasons (mainly power struggle).

However there surely has to be some major effort directed at solving this problem.

mmmm. and then would would be all under the os monolith culture that we're trying to break out of. we'd be back in the world of one browser, one email client and one [choose your favourite], because this is the logical outcome of monolithic culture.

just for an example. checking email -- are you an evolution/thunderbird kinda person or a mutt/pine kinda person or perhaps a horde/squirrelmail webmail kinda person. what you use depends on all kinds of factors. as jebba sorta said: one of the joys of linux is that you can make it appropriate to the situation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:06 pm 
Site Admin

Plus the fact that you can get the source code and are free do use it, change it in anyway you wish and share it. The "it" includes sharing your "versions", original code or what ever. ... How does that help you right now? You've pasted the results of your rpm stuff and others can help you. Those after you can see the results and use that to help them. Those that develop might bugzilla it if necessary, which may lead to improvements in the code. Technical writers may write documentation, wikis and so on.
good luck red!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:34 pm 

Gents,

You're all quite right with the above points (although I don't understand what "monolithic" means....guess I should look it up...maybe).

Anyway just after spouting my original post I found a driver which installed a treat and the process was very easy to understand (so lesson learned).

I do get frustrated (should try and learn some c stuff) but I like the challenge.....micoscroft is too boring.

Post subject: monolithic
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:11 am 

darkred wrote:
...although I don't understand what "monolithic" means....guess I should look it up...maybe.

wiktionary definition

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:20 am 

excellent!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:08 am 

part of the joy of learning how linux/unix works is running into problems like these, and in the end gaining a better understanding for your os. Sure you could go through the world running windows, with a calus on your mouse finger, and a dusty keyboard but what fun would that be?

I agree with what others said here on distros. Some are built with security in mind, others for desktop. I like to try them all depending on my mood, wouldn't be as fun if there was only one to choose from :-)

The thing I like about blag is it doesn't install a whole lot of unnecessary software. In fact I haven't had to install anything yet other than a few compilers and plugins for programs.