BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:18 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: NSA and Blasterisk
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:19 pm 

I found an article by Robert Cringely about NSA phone tapping. In it, he talks about VOIP; namely, Skype has not been tapped, but companies like Vonage are vulnerable.

Given the popularity of Blasterisk by Blag developers, I sent off an email inquiring about the vulnerability of Blasterisk. Jeff said that Blasterisk is vulnerable, and that other Blag users may want to talk about this in the forum. Before I give the link, be forewarned that it is a fluff piece of an article that tries to passively dismiss the extent that the NSA is actually spying on American citizens and international phone calls. Cringely quotes an unnamed NSA source, but given that people refer to the NSA as the 'No Such Agency', I put little faith public knowledge of the most secretive government agency in America.

http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20060126.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:51 pm 
Site Admin

How does he know that skype has not been tapped? Seems to be a ridiculous assertion.

Post subject: /me nods
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:30 pm 

jebba wrote:
How does he know that skype has not been tapped? Seems to be a ridiculous assertion.

always assume the state wants to know what you're saying, whether it's their business or not [which it usually isn't].

and for any special branch who may be watching - wise up! and get blag on yer box...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:39 pm 

always assume the state wants to know what you're saying

Corporations like Google are giving the government a run for their money when it comes to collecting personal information.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:10 pm 
Site Admin

googlejail? googlewar?

Corporations definitely collect tons of info, but the NSA spying is a whole 'nother level of intrusiveness.

BLASTERISK will implement crypto for calls eventually. But who knows what the NSA will be able to crack...

Post subject: Blasterisk Crypto
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:16 pm 

As far as I understand, it is only a matter of time and processing power until cryptography is cracked. I am sure the NSA has plenty of both.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:19 pm 

I heard they had a whole room full of trained koala bears working on this kind of thing. But then again, most of the stuff I hear is wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:11 pm 

nofoto wrote:
I heard they had a whole room full of trained koala bears working on this kind of thing. But then again, most of the stuff I hear is wrong.

yep, you definitely heard wrong....

... koalas aren't bears, they're related to kangaroos

: P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:57 pm 

kangawhats? :|

ok, i stop now. this looks bad for blag. anything that is bad for blag is bad for humanity.

Post subject: hehe fun with the NSA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:49 pm 
I have for years thrown in "buzz" words or had hypothetical converstations over the phone, even with my friend when he was in the military and actually even after the "Patriot" Act just in case they were listening. I usually make sure to tell a few people that if I disappear it's likely do to these conversations.

Overall, I guess I don't have conversations that I don't want heard by outsiders, so I've never been to concerned with privacy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:56 am 
Just give it time. First they tap our phones and call it "security". They have watched our internet habits for years. Next will be goverment sponsored pesonal "preferences", AKA goverment directed advertising. They will say it is our best interest. Advertise like:
Get no more junk mail, only what you want.

Excuse me, I put nothing past the US goverment!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:49 am 

You know, this whole ID cards row in the UK (Government wants to implement biometric (sp?) ID for you keerazy foreigners who might not have heard abouit it) has really started to change my opinion on the whole issue of government intrusion. I have come to the conclusion, at least in the context of the UK, that I don't really care. (I'm going to get absolutely slaughtered for saying this here, aren't I). I can't see the point in them in terms of their proposed usage (fighting terrorism, etc. etc. etc.), but I can't say that I think it's a terribly bad idea, either.

Ultimately, the only thing I would be worried about is the government selling my "trends" to commerical organisations (such as tescos *shudder*). I am in no way worried about the UK becoming Orwellian (as the Daily Mail, for example) would have us believe. The UK's political minorities are olitically far too volatile and will continue to be for something like "thought police" or controlled movement, or whatever, to be introduced.

Any ideas on the subject? I hope there isn't another thread on this already. And I'm normally far more eqloquent, but it's pre-coffee morning at the moment :)