BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:28 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:39 am 
After reading about your distro on distrowatch, thought Id give it a whirl. Sounded like a neat new distro idea. I dont have latest computer but it usually works ok on most linux flavours. Athlon xp2000, Gigabyte MB 384K ram , 2 HD
Md5 checked out, installed, skipped bootloader (hate grub) Then learned later no way easy to boot the thing, even with the install CD, going the 'rescue route'. Seemed like, if you dont install grub the first time-it wont do it for you later without a full reinstall ( i-tried, 2 more times , to 'install grub' or update system and install it)
On 4th wipe/install, I conceded , let it wipe my bootloader for WIn2000 just so I could see what Blag was like. I have a diff boot-setup, so I cant blame grub for being stubborn, though I thought it worked better than it did. HDA==small IDE disk, contained 8MB boot partition for Win2000, which was actually installed on 2nd drive under HDB4. (First HD is old/tiny) . Other OS-HDB2-slackware. Installed
Blag on HDB1, 8gb partition.
ANyway, gnome looks ok, though I dont really enjoy it, KDE user mostly, but I can live with it. Firefox had no flash/java plugins, easily fixed though. Worked nice on web once setup. Tried blackbox, menu could use work, no styles were
available to change, just a few different solid color backgrounds. Sound works fine with Soundblaster Live. Tried XFCE, not bad at all, but dont know much about it. Right=click to exit that one does nothing, but the logout button on the bottom did the trick. Thats about all I've tried so far, just wanted to give some feedback-please dont take it as criticism. I know what work it is to create a linux distro, and everybody can't be pleased at once. Now Im off to setup the printer.....
chuck/n america

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:50 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for the feedback.

I don't know about your grub issues, but you can certainly boot off the cd into rescue mode and do grub voodoo if you want. It sounds like you're doing something custom so, well, ... you'll have to leave that up to what you want for a bootloader. Grub works for me quite fine.

blackbox is just a stock package we grab upstream.

I haven't used xfce for awhile, but when i was using it, i could log out fine. I'm not sure what's up there. There's always ctrl-alt-backspace ;)

The flash/java issue rears it's head quite often. We're a Free Software distribution so we don't include them. -INSERT RANT- Anyway, the FSF has a project called gnash going that does flash, but not plugins yet. So maybe soon. I like their name--they could have also used flush. ;) Java plugins: i'm not sure about, but I think there has been /some/ progress in that area. Java generally makes me cringe though, so i don't follow it closely.

/me ducks before you write about your printer

-Jeff

Post subject: no floppy?/
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:14 am 
Discovered my install has no floppy , Ive never seen that before. I wonder, if it somehow wasnt detected, there's no mention of it in fstab either. DEV folder shows a 'fd0' though.
I can write to a floppy using DD, but cant figure out how to read one for the life of me.
Mount command keeps demanding a ' filesystem' type, but wont take 'msdos' or vfat....
beats me. Well I dont see how I can make a grub floppy with it. Some of us do still need a floppy drive lol, esp with these weird drive combos
chuck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:44 am 
Site Admin

Hmm. I just do:

Code:
mkdir /mnt/floppy
mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy

Though I use a different filesystem. ;) That should work, I'd be very suprised if it didn't. Floppy is usually a default-out-of-the-box kind of thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:36 am 
Site Admin

jebba wrote:
Hmm. I just do:

Code:
mkdir /mnt/floppy
mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy

Though I use a different filesystem. ;) That should work, I'd be very suprised if it didn't. Floppy is usually a default-out-of-the-box kind of thing.

1. I noticed this too
2. It's /media now, remember? (I can't stand this!)

If you'd like to add an fstab entry for this:
/dev/fd0 /media/floppy auto noauto,user,rw 0 0

Of course, that assumes you're using /media and not /mnt...

Thanks,
Stephen Clement

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:48 pm 
Stephen, thats what I did for it (used mnt tho-an old timer I guess)
Printer install went fine, HP1200 laserjet on parallel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:36 pm 
My floppy drive dissapreared once after running system update in synaptic. I have no idea why because after I reinstalled Blag and then did the update again I had no problems.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:46 pm 

nextuser wrote:
ANyway, gnome looks ok, though I dont really enjoy it,

you're kidding right? Gnome looks beatiful and everything is where it should be in this distro (unlike other Gnome based distros.... and I mean UBUNTU ;-).

nextuser wrote:
KDE user mostly, but I can live with it.

Figures... ;-)

nextuser wrote:
Firefox had no flash/java plugins, easily fixed though. Worked nice on web once setup.

My experience as well. Too bad a few guys seem to be anti-java. Java rocks, imho, and it's getting better all the time. The next Java 6.0 (codename Mustang) includes some great things that people have been asking for ages, like:

-Being able to call the system's default web browser / e-mail client from the java ap
-FONT anti-aliasing
-Rendering of widgets with the native OS's routines for a "native" look and feel
-Performance improvements
...and more.

If you ever used Azureus (http://azureus.sourceforge.net) you know what I'm talking about. It's amazing that java apps can now minimize to systray (in windows) or to a gnome panel, for instance, just as native apps.

nextuser wrote:
Tried blackbox, menu could use work, no styles were
available to change, just a few different solid color backgrounds. Sound works fine with Soundblaster Live. Tried XFCE, not bad at all, but dont know much about it.
chuck/n america

With the nice Gnome avaialble, who needs anything else?
;-)

best,
FC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:59 am 
Site Admin

fcassia, you don't seem to get why we don't include java. We're not "anti-java", we're anti-proprietary software. BLAG Linux includes only Free Software.

Thanks,
Stephen Clement