BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:03 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Screenshots?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:51 pm 

Anybody have some screenshots from the Alpha release on their blog, etc.?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:54 pm 

sorry ... bullshit ;)

Post subject: Blag 50k alpha
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:08 pm 

Hi Jeff,

In few days I will install the latest alpha release on a spare harddrive. Do you think when the 50K Stable version comes out, we can easily 'upgrade' to the stable version ? or should we delete the alpha off harddrive then install the stable version ?

Luckily I've got plenty of used old harddrives :) Believe it or not.. I took HD out of thrown-away laptops / desktops thats on the street :)

.. desktop ... ( i only mount 1 physical harddisk at a time )
* 8 GB - Blag3002
* 30 GB - Blag3002 (cloned)
- 4 GB - Wolvix media edition
- 30 GB - Wolvix media edition (cloned)
- 30 GB - spare .. will be use for Blag50K alpha

... laptop ...
* 30 GB - win XP ( the hd that came with it)
* 4 GB - Blag3002
* 30 GB - Blag3002 (cloned)

Post subject: Re: Blag 50k alpha
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:10 pm 
Site Admin

logicmaster wrote:
In few days I will install the latest alpha release on a spare harddrive. Do you think when the 50K Stable version comes out, we can easily 'upgrade' to the stable version ? or should we delete the alpha off harddrive then install the stable version ?

Well, I'm not making any guarantees about the alpha & upgrades and such. But you "should" be able to upgrade--it's probably what I'll do myself. But it'll be cleanest if you do a fresh install as things may be dropped, downgraded, etc.

logicmaster wrote:
Luckily I've got plenty of used old harddrives :) Believe it or not.. I took HD out of thrown-away laptops / desktops thats on the street :)

Cool. That's what blag's for. ;)

Ciao,

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:10 pm 

I recall reading on an old forum here about how you could switch distros and save all your stuff by putting /home on its own partition so I'm assuming that things could work that way for an upgrade from 30k to 50k. Is that correct?

My question when I read that before, which still applies now, I guess, is what happens to all the ".whatever" folders in /home when that happens. Do they get overwritten? do the old ones get in the way of the new stuff?

I'm pretty sure that I did put my /home on its own partition on one particular blag around here (that I can't get to at the moment to check, unfortunately), so I'm thinking that if I try an upgrade (which didn't work trying to go from suse 8.2 to 10 on a different hard drive), even if it blows up I can reformat / and do a fresh install. Is that correct? Am I missing something?

Thanks,
S.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:40 pm 
Site Admin

Ya, if you have a /home dir on a separate partition you can do an upgrade, fresh reinstall, install a different distro etc. fine.

The /home/.foo files all stay in /home since that doesn't get touched. This will retain your old settings which can be good & bad.

-Jeff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:47 pm 

yeeey i've finally got the time to install Blag50K Alpha on my spare drive :)
So far, the problem that I found are :

1) internet is somewhat slow on mozilla but ok on GAIM ( i've switched to the other Blag30002 harddrive on the same machine and the internet runs fast on that release).
2) the default for streamripper is beep player which won't play streamripper. How I got it to work is to first run xmms, and then run streamripper.
3) when trying to record streamripper.. it gives error ..
Quote:
xterm: Can't execvp streamripper: No such file or directory

I've compared the working Blag30002 and made sure every single settings are correct.
4) missing QTparted :( but that LVM Volume manager looks sooo neat !! unfortunately I've switched to ext3.

those are my current findings.

oh yea.. for the person who wanted to see a screenshot of Blag50K Alpha.. here it is..
http://www.geocities.com/alexanderangnj/blag50k.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:36 pm 
Site Admin

logicmaster wrote:
2) the default for streamripper is beep player which won't play streamripper. How I got it to work is to first run xmms, and then run streamripper.

You mean streamtuner here. Beep player will be yanked in final version and streamtuner will be made to default to xmms....

logicmaster wrote:
3) when trying to record streamripper.. it gives error ..

Ya, I didnt see a build for streamripper yet. If one doesnt appear soon, Ill make one.

If you want to make sure your issues get solved, ahem, its best if you open a bugzilla report too. Stuff the info into here if you please:

http://bugzilla.blagblagblag.org

Thanks,

-Jeff

Last edited by jebba on Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:54 pm 

logicmaster wrote:
1) internet is somewhat slow on mozilla but ok on GAIM ( i've switched to the other Blag30002 harddrive on the same machine and the internet runs fast on that release).

if mozilla takes forever to find the webpage you requested, but then loads it fairly quickly (rather than finding the page immediately but takes forever to download it), then it sounds like your DNS servers might need inputting manually.
i actually found the reverse - 50k did a good job of figuring out my DNS whereas I had to do it myself with 30k.

anyways, google for your provider's DNS primary and secondary servers and run system-config-network to set them up.

cheers
bob

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:17 am 

logicmaster wrote:

That's sad that beep player can't play internet streams out of the box. If it can be made to, I would do it because I've been dying to use one of the newer forks of XMMS and I haven't been able to get them to compile on 30K2 because the libraries aren't the right version.

jebba wrote:
Beep player will be yanked in final version

Will it be in the repo?

I know this kinda strays from topic a bit, but it does involve software that will run on 50K, another thing I am dying to use.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:49 am 
Site Admin

Centrino wrote:
jebba wrote:

Will it be in the repo?

Yes. I'm going to try to stuff as much as i can from fedora (all of it), fedora-extras, freshrpms, dag, atrpms as I can.

-Jeff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:53 am 
Site Admin

Centrino wrote:
jebba wrote:

Will it be in the repo?

Yes. I'm going to try to stuff as much as i can from fedora (all of it), fedora-extras, freshrpms, dag, atrpms into the repo as I can.

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:57 am 

Schweet deal. I'm on my toes for the stable release.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:10 pm 

Hello guys :)

okay i'll do the bugzilla when I get home from school.

Thanks for the tip regarding internet speedup (dhcp to manual and stuff)... I'll try that later also cuz I've switched back to Blag30002 for now. Yea as soon as I put back my Blag30002 hd.. i'm back to my high speed on cable modem.

also can i have one request on your final stable release of 50k ? I wish the log-in screen be the same as Blag30002.. its the one in black-and-white picture.. All my friends and sisters found that picture very very soothing !! I must agree :) The new one with the cracked pavement rather look depressing !

When I get home from school, I have to research on :
Quote:
How to do Image Backup/Restore on LVM partition ( partimage doesn't support it !! )

well.. at least I want to be able to "restore" to any hd via DVDR or CDR where I plan to "backup" the whole LVM volume. (on my desktop PC)

But on my laptop, 2 weeks ago I've arleady done a fresh-install with the right filesystems ( all ext3) and already did PARTIMAGE backup to CDR, and had successfully "restore" from CDR to a spare laptop hd and booted up perfectly :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:35 pm 
Site Admin

logicmaster wrote:
also can i have one request on your final stable release of 50k ? I wish the log-in screen be the same as Blag30002.. its the one in black-and-white picture.. All my friends and sisters found that picture very very soothing !! I must agree :) The new one with the cracked pavement rather look depressing !

The 30002 one is a picture of my gf on the south end of the south island of New Zealand.

The cracked one is a photo I took of the mud/oil/tar that covered Dulac, Louisiana after hurricane katrina. It also appeared as the header in the print version of the Earth First Journal for this article:
http://www.earthfirstjournal.org/articles.php?a=900

-Jeff

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next