FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
Blag hangs during startup while (probing for new hardware)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 6:30 am    Post subject: Blag hangs during startup while (probing for new hardware) Reply with quote

please help, what can I do to resolve this?
the installation went smoothly!
but i can't get pass the startup phase.

It says, probing for hardware or checking new hardware.. and it stays that way. and nothing happens.

can someone please help, I'm fairly new to linux. I read everyones comments and decided to give this a try.

thank you

-daniel

jebba
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you describe what kind of hardware you have?

Some piece of hardware is being probed and probably causing the hang. If you have a piece of gear that isn't being used (like firewire, some usb device or something) try booting up with it unplugged.

-Jeff

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 1 AuthenticAMD ~1990 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Award Software, Inc. ASUS A7V8X ACPI BIOS Revision 1013, 8/18/2003
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB

I also have a ATI all in wonder 8500DV video card which has a firewire port as well as the motherboard included. i tried disabling usb, but still the same thing. i have no idea how to disable firewire.

-daniel

jebba
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's most likely the firewire device. Try disabling firewire in the bios for the firewire port you have on the motherboard (if i'm reading you correctly).

You can also disable firewire by appending this to the boot line:

Code:
nofirewire

To do this, at the grub boot screen (the thing that counts down from 10 seconds right after booting & the BIOS) hit "a" (this tells grub to "append")

It will give you a screen with:

Code:
grub append>  ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb

Add nofirewire so it looks like:

Code:
grub append>  ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb nofirewire

Then hit return to boot.

If that fixes the problem, to make it permanent, you need to edit (as root) the file /etc/grub.conf and change this line:

Code:
kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.22-1.2188.nptl ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb

to
Code:
kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.22-1.2188.nptl ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb nofirewire

That'll do it! ;)

-Jeff

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like its not the firewire.

everything from the start initializes [OK]
until it gets to firewire... it says..

Initializing firewire controller (ohci1394) [OK]

and then it just hangs there.

-Daniel

ps. is there a workaround. please help

jebba
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Did you try my suggestions above?

If it's hanging right after the firewire is initialized that points to it possibly being the problem. It loads the module [OK] then this makes things stop. Try my suggestions above and let me know if they worked or not.

-Jeff

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I have tried your suggestions , but it still hangs at startup. :(

-daniel

jebba
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Sorry to be pendantic, but where is it hanging? Initially it was hanging at "Checking for new hardware..." but now you say it's hanging at the firewire controller? The firewire controller is a number of steps before the hardware check. With nofirewire where does it hang?

I'm kinda playing "guess what I'm thinking". Remember, the only info I have to work with is what you send me... I'm not in front of this box.

Do you know what you changed that made it go from hanging at firewire to hanging at kudzu? It seems it has regressed since you were able to get past that point initially.

Also, I assume this is BLAG100000, ya?

-Jeff

P.S. If you do IRC it may be easier for us to work on this: irc.indymedia.org #blag

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is BLAG100000. Sorry if I confused you.
When blag first starts up a nice colorful gui screen appears telling me that its checking for devices. when it gets to the proving for new hardware, it just hangs there. Once I press the restart button on my computer Blag starts to boot up again only this time, it says.. the system did not shut down properly or in a healthy manner or something like that. well it starts to initialize everything until it gets to the firewire part. which it [OK]'s but then after that nothing happens. I tried your suggestion about disabling firewire on GRUB and the same thing happens only this time the "initializing firewire" part doesnt appear, but it still hangs.

hope you understood.

-daniel

jebba
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. So it's hanging on "Checking for new hardware". I looked up the motherboard. I wonder if it's related to SATA. Are you using SATA drives or regular IDE ones? If you're not using SATA try disabling /that/ in the BIOS.

Short of that, you can disable "kudzu" which is the thing that looks for new hardware. It's a few steps, sorry.

Boot from CD. At the boot: prompt, type "linux rescue". When it gets all booted up (and you hit enter a few times), it will drop you into a command shell. At that, run these commands:

Code:
chroot /mnt/sysimage
chkconfig --level 35 kudzu off
exit
exit

Sorry this isn't working perfectly for you. I'm not sure what's up. I looked up your motherboard on the 'net and it appears to work with linux in general. I also have a very similar one here that works fine (but I've only tested it with BLAG20000 alpha). The only other "weird" device you have is the gung-ho multifunction video card.

Later,

-Jeff

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SATA was already disabled in my system since I dont have any use of it.

I tried your suggestions, but to no avail.

I had no idea wondering into linux would be this frustrating.
I'm starting to wonder if this distro is the way to go for me on my quest to learn linux.

considering I'm new to linux. where should I begin.

jebba
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Uh, so if "Checking for new hardware" is gone, it has to be hanging somewhere else... Anyway.

Installing an Operating System can be hard sometimes typically related to getting hardware going. Most of the time it works, but if it doesn't you have to be a bit more experienced to sort it out. This is true of any operating system (I've seen issues with Linux, MacOS, BeOS, Solaris, etc. and of course windoz...).

There's just something in the blag that is conflicting. You could either find a linux geek near you (like at a Linux User Group in your area) or try another distro. I wouldn't suggest Fedora since it will likely have the same problem that BLAG is having. Since you are new to Linux, I'd suggest Mandrake since lots of new users like that as well. There's a list of distros at http://www.distrowatch.org/

That said, if you want to continue to sort out what is going on with BLAG, I'll be happy to help you. Which leads me to a question..."where's it hanging now?" ;)

-Jeff

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you :) , its hanging at the same place. :cry:
stevo32
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

errr..what do you mean by "the same place" which same place is this one?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is hanging at the "Checking new hardware..." then you need to do the thing that turns of kudzu. If kudzu is turned off, then it won't even try to find new hardware. I mean this part:

Boot from CD. At the boot: prompt, type "linux rescue". When it gets all booted up (and you hit enter a few times), it will drop you into a command shell. At that, run these commands:

Code:

chroot /mnt/sysimage
/sbin/chkconfig --level 35 kudzu off
exit
exit

(I added /sbin in front of it this time, but I don't think it's necessary).

Does that part go ok?

-Jeff

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BLAG Forum Index -> support Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP