FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
Problem with Sound in an IBM 600E

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbarry
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 3:18 am    Post subject: Problem with Sound in an IBM 600E Reply with quote

Hello Everyblagers!!!!

I have successfully installed Blag10K in an IBM 600E but the problem is there is no sound. Before Blag I have installed Knoppix in this machine, and I have to issue these commands in a terminal to make the sound work

insmod sound
insmod ad1848
insmod uart401
insmod cs4232 io=0x530 irq=5 dma=1 dma2=0 mpuio=0x330 mpuirq=9

but I gues this doesn't work on blag, I tried the redhat-config-soundcard but it reports "no sound device ... " or something similar. I have also tried the sndconfig command it was able to detect a PCI ... I forgot the exact msg. but it say it does not support the soundcard it finds.

Can somebody help me pls... I don't exactly know the type of soundcard installed in the machine... I was hoping the code for knoppix could help. Also where or what is the config file I have to look for when looking for configurations such as these?

Thanks alot.... AND MORE POWER

JBarry

jebba
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can find out more about your soundcard with:

Code:
lspci
lshw

You can also try the ALSA drivers...

-Jeff

jbarry
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello jebba

I tried the lspci and lshw and found alot about my machine. Unfortunately the modules for the device (CS 4610/11) is i think not installed. it issues a modprobe error for the cs46xx.o:init_module: no such device

Anyway i read the man pages for the sndconfig and found out that it can be given a --noprobe parameter.

So i experimented with the different devices and found a compatible driver.

Code:
Acer Notebook Sound
I/O Port =0x220 IRQ=5 DMA=1 MPU I/O=0x330

So i have my sound now, :lol:

what do i need to do to enable the correct driver? ( not that i'm complaining with the current setup it's just that i wish to learn)

thanks a lot for the time and effort in helping me

jbarry

jebba
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, To have it load on boot, just add it to /etc/modules.conf

Nice one :)

-Jeff

Triangle
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also TP600e user, mine works with BLAG10000 with OSS drivers (cs4232) that I configure on install with sndconfig --noprobe and just modifying DMA1 as 1 and Last IRQ as 9.
You have to install a script wich is documented on IBM site or I can send it by mail.
All sound is clear and works in input/output.

The first step is to disable quickstart in the bios to allows Linux to find his IRQs without a MS microcode.
On SUSE site they propose to emulate a Soundblaster card, it works too but with a less sound quality.

Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP