BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:46 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Booting from floppy
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:33 am 

I ve tried to install on a old Mitac (P166 MMX, 1,6 GB) laptop. The install process is stopped half-way an will not continue. I think the boot floppy is the problem not the CD. Can you check the boot floppy?
Installed on a modern AMD machine BLAG works fine and I really like the dist. There are some hickups but thats another topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:28 am 
Site Admin

Does it get to the point where it is actually installing from the CD? If so, it's not the floppy as it has already loaded everything from floppy.

On an old machine like that, I suggest doing a very small text install. At the boot: prompt do:
linux text

Sometimes older boxes have various hardware problems. Just getting them up & running first and then installing more software will often work better.

In some cases I find it faster to install the OS with the old machine's hard drive in another computer. After the install, do the first boot on the old machine.

-Jeff

Post subject: boot from floppy
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 1:23 pm 

Thank you for your prompt answer.
Old computers are difficult.
Now i have started the laptop installation and it went on and left over to the CD. I made the check and proceeded deleting the old partitions and choosed the desktop installation.
After a while it discovered that the HD was too small. So I started to pick applications not needed. I now have left out so many objects that I doubt the dist will work. The swap partition is 100 MB and the Root? partition just over 100 MB. The "useful" partition just over 1 GB ( th HD holds 1.4 GB not 1.6 as I mentiond before).
Have you any suggestions how to minimize the installation and stil have "working" office applications, internet and email access and a picture collection (my own pictures). Is it possible with the present nice appearance?

Regards