FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
BLAG-49999.00070 Released - Kernel 2.6.17
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jebba
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: BLAG-49999.00070 Released - Kernel 2.6.17 Reply with quote

This includes a 2.6.17 kernel that is currently in Fedora update's TESTING directory.

gtk2 was reverted because it's causing some SVG funkiness (in menus and nautilus, for example)

UPDATED:
kernel-2.6.17-1.2138_FC5
blag-release
gdm
system-config-lvm
transcode

Oh, in an interim release that wasn't put on the ftp server, these updates were made...

ADDED:
x264
alacarte (needs icon fixed--probably move to preferences too!)
pyxdg
deskbar-applet
pirut...
MuSE

UPDATE:
kiax (now with BLASTERISK defaults)
comps.xml cleanups

REMOVE:
linphone
ortp
libosip2
ekiga
opal
pwlib

ftp://ftp.blagblagblag.org/pub/BLAG/linux/50000/en/iso

It's down to a lean 670M. :) What should be added or come back?

-Jeff

noldrin
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to see mplayer return. I use it as a plugin on firefox with the mplayer-plugin. I think mencoder is useful to have. It works nicely from the command line. I use it to preview aMule downloads. And it just works smoother and faster than Xine. Perhaps if I could get DVDs playing in Xine I'd have a different tune about the program.

Part of what makes BLAG so useful is that it has what Fedora should have. And I think most people looking to see if they should install BLAG would have mplayer on their short list of must have apps.

pfe1223
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Keep it slim Reply with quote

I say keep it slim. There may be extra space, but it doesn't mean that it should be filled.[/b]
jebba
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.

I am very convinced about mplayer. :)

mplayer is what I /always/ use first myself. But I've found other people were able to just "use" xine a bit better.

xine has better dvd menu support...

At this point I'd love to drop xine and use mplayer instead. :)

Here's some info on the latest mplayer release (the first in a year despite heavy devel):
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/news.html

Oohh, and mencoder....

-Jeff

ewl
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebba wrote:
Yes.

I am very convinced about mplayer. :)

Will it still be available in the repositories?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, it'll always be in the repo...
ewl
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, since I'm still able to type "apt-get", I've got no problems with that. Besides, I've already got it installed in the 49k installation. When the stable version comes out, will we be able to apt-get dist-upgrade from 49k to 50k?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ewl wrote:
When the stable version comes out, will we be able to apt-get dist-upgrade from 49k to 50k?

Yes. You'll have to apt-get a kernel too. If there were any downgrades of packages, it'll be a bit odd there, but i don't anticipate anything major.

There was a new 2.6.17 kernel released by Fedora. To update your system with apt-get you'd run this:

Code:
apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade
apt-get install kernel#2.6.17-1.2139_FC5

To find out what kernel versions are available, run this and it will provide you a list: `apt-get install kernel`

-Jeff

P.S. Note this kernel will be in the blag repo in an hour or two.

noldrin
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebba wrote:

xine has better dvd menu support...

The thing is on some systems, Mplayer plays DVDs better. On my system Xine drops many frames and plays very jumpy, if at all, while Mplayer plays a lot smoother. The reason I think for this is if you have cheap ass hardware, especially those all in one motherboards, certain ways of programing Multimedia cause your playback to be jumpy. I've had this problem with Realplayer and Xine, although Realplayer is far worse. I think it has to do with what hardware the player tries to rely on.

The only problem with MPlayer is I find it likes to crash a lot when it comes to the end of a file.

jebba
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, i've seen xine croak a bit on machines more than mplayer... Hmm...

I'll try a mplayer release here soon. It entails changing gconftool-2 keys too for gnome defaults.

puppy
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject: You do not need to shoot for perfection. Reply with quote

Perfection is for the Gods. If your CD is 500MB and it includes all the applications that you want, then do not worry. Less applications means less work for you. We need Abiword, Firefox, a media player and that is it.
r7
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: You do not need to shoot for perfection. Reply with quote

puppy wrote:
Perfection is for the Gods. If your CD is 500MB and it includes all the applications that you want, then do not worry. Less applications means less work for you. We need Abiword, Firefox, a media player and that is it.

we is not the same as you. i need other things than that...

ewl
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, me too. But if they are in the repositories, what difference does it make whether or not they are on the installation disk. Personally I like a minimalist installation and then I get to install just what I need.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey

i lean towards xine so it's good it'll be in the repos. i'd use mplayer but, on my system at least, playback is interrupted by gnome/x screensaver. from what i can gather, you can stop this by setting some option during compilation? over my head, really...

not too keen on that single-click file browser in mplayer either, but that's being picky!

jebba
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

both mplayer & xine are on the latest cd.

You can run mplayer with -stop-xscreensaver. I think that's default now tho'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BLAG Forum Index -> announcements Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP