BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:34 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Helping with development
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:15 am 
Site Admin

Ok knowing the burden on the developers, how would mere mortals like me go about helping you guys? A lot of my time is spent doing voluntary work but a lot of that is not so time consuming anymore.

So I would like to get my teeth into the tech nitty gritty. Now I am Linux savvy from an admin point of view i.e. maintaining a server. I also use it on my desktop and got all my hardware working. So I can claim to be a decent level user.

Do you think the best way is to go through the docs you made about making my own distro and perhaps then I would know more? I think I would rather do that to my own timeline than be assigned somthing and then struggle with it. I like to break and fix things you see :)

BLAG is great and I have personally installed it on over 100 machines for other people and given out 5 times as many CD's. Sadly though not through their own fault a lot of people cannot give back because they don't know enough. I know I am not the only one who wants to change this as there are a few of us on here who have been here a while and want to help a little.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:38 am 
Site Admin

Jason,

There are lots of things that can be done. If you want to learn building packages, that's fun. :)

The things that slow down the release are a number of mundane things, like writing announcements, using `s/30003/50000/` on the website, etc. ;) The website could certainly use some help. The features page, for example, is quite dated...

If you have a good server on a solid connection, perhaps you could host the forums. I'm sick of updating phpBB all the time and it could use some customization. Same for mediawiki & bugzilla...

Speaking of which, take a look at bugzilla ( http://bugzilla.blagblagblag.org/ ), and see if there's anything there you can do.

And writing in the wiki... Lots could be done there.

Anyway, that's a few things that come to mind. :)

50k forthcoming,

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:25 pm 
Site Admin

Yep I have a quality server on a 100mbit line shared with 7 other servers on that switch. They are all barely used (I know them guys). So hosting the forums is easy enough. Whats your preferred way of transition? I can get an SQL dump from the admin panel here but it won't be synced obviously until forums.blag is redirected.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:26 pm 
Site Admin

Ok. Lets do this together on IRC sometime next week or so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:41 am 
Site Admin

Okie dokie. Gives me time to murder my new BLAG install too. 50k is sexy :)