BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:46 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: out-of-the-box
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:45 pm 
I'm installing BLAG 10000 right now on a test system. I'm wondering if blag can do the following? I'm a newbie at linux, so please forgive me, if these are stupid questions.

-Can Blag play wmv, wma, quicktime, real audio/video formats over the internet?
-Does blag installs JAVA?
-Is blag able to read PDF files?
-flash, shockwave?
-and if blag does not install these by default, how do I go about installing them?
-One last thing, If I like blag, anyway of donating to the project to insure it's survival?

Thanks,
LinuxBound

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:41 pm 

I can answer a couple of your questions.

Java -- It doesn't come installed, but you can install it very easily by downloading it from http://java.sun.com. Click here and then pick 'Download JS2E JRE" -- after the agreement, you'll want to download the file labeled "RPM in self-extracting file (j2re-1_4_2_05-linux-i586-rpm.bin, 13.23 MB)" under the linux sections. Follow these instructions and you should have no problems.

Flash -- Also not installed (I'm pretty sure, since I was always prompted with that 'missing plugin' screen in mozilla), but can be done so very easily. You want this.

download, and scroll down to see the installation instructions.

The rest of stuff I'm unsure of, so I'll let someone else answer. Hope I've helped :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:14 pm 
Site Admin

yes blag can read pdf's, and real audio/video (but you have to install realplayer for linux first)

RealPlayer:
https://helixcommunity.org/download.php ... 5.i586.rpm

(To install, just download and just double click it.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:49 pm 
The only thing black cannot do is run macromedia shockwave. However Macromedia flash 7.0 is available.

Post subject: Re: out-of-the-box
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:25 pm 
Site Admin

Anonymous wrote:
-Can Blag play wmv, wma, quicktime, real audio/video formats over the internet?

Yes. Using mplayer or xine, both of which are in the menu, different videos can be played. Sometimes rtsp:// URLs have problems--if you feed the URL directly to the mplayer, it has a better shot at playing them.

Anonymous wrote:
-Does blag installs JAVA?

No. You do get javascripting. Check out the application "synaptic" in the menu. With it you can use different software repositories to install different applications. The "jpackage" repository is a java-specific repository for lots of javajavajava. Dag's repository has jre (java runtime environment) as well.

Anonymous wrote:
-Is blag able to read PDF files?

Yes, with ghostview, or ggv. They are in the menu and it can also view them inline in mozilla.

Anonymous wrote:
-flash, shockwave?

For flash, you can enable the macromedia repository and download it using synaptic. It will get the correct version for your machine. I don't think there is linux shockwave, but i'm not certain.

Anonymous wrote:
-and if blag does not install these by default, how do I go about installing them?

Synaptic (a GUI front-end to apt-get) is your friend here. There is a BLAG repository that has many more applications, but not programs that aren't Free Software (hence no flash, or java in BLAG). Other repositories have this software available. In the BLAG version of synaptic, you can enable other repositories.

Synaptic URL:
http://www.nongnu.org/synaptic

Anonymous wrote:
-One last thing, If I like blag, anyway of donating to the project to insure it's survival?

BLAG doesn't really take donations, but if you want to help a blag-friendly organization, see http://www.communitytechnology.org.uk

Also, I generally suggest using synaptic for installing things, but the methods described by others in this thread are perfectly applicable as well. You can do whichever method you find easier. If you download an RPM, get ones that are built for Fedora Core 1, or if that isnt' available try RedHat 9 versions. Here's an example of how to install foo version 1.2.3:

Code:
rpm -Uvh foo-1.2.3.i386.rpm

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 3:55 am 
You can also download java for linux directly from www.java.com and install it on blag very easily.