FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
hi and,

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shabene
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:45 pm    Post subject: hi and, Reply with quote

hi folks,

i'm not only new to linux but new to blag too, now i have installed blag on a spare drive and its GOOD! but i havnt streached it yet, what happens when i install nvidia drivers for my fx5200, will i be able to do "tv out" and play games? tv out seems a sod in windoze so i expect the worst but would love to know if its posible.

anyways soon i hope to make the change fully, just need to get a basic cad system going, printing, scanning (with a lexmark x73) and hopefully faxing, thats a lot to hope for i guess but i remain hopefull.

one last note, blag installed better than any other distro i have tried, the update system is also way better than i have seen before, you must be on the right track!

stevo32
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:) its nice that you like blag, i know its easy to install which is a plus :D

here is a link for your lexmark x73:

http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Lexmark-X73

btw, from what i've read, your FX 5200 will work just fine with blag (although redhat9 doesn't like it, which means it wouldn't have worked in blag 900x.) i couldn't find much info about TV out.

for info on TV out:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2004-April/msg03536.html (another user's experience)

and for general info, check out the nvidia site at:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux.html
http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_1.0-6106.html

:)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the help, but i'm falling at the first hurdle.

what i am trying to do is install the new nvidia drivers, problem is i need to exit x and attack the driver install from the command prompt, now i have looked everywhere but the right place and can only find the option of safe mode whilst in the login screen, where is the option to boot straight to command prompt hiding?

(i feel such a fool already!)

jebba
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to change the runlevel... If you just want to do it for one boot, go to the console:

Code:
ctrl-alt F1

Code:
init 3

That will shut down X windows and leave you in console mode. I believe the best way to get nvidia drivers going under blag is to download the necessary RPMs from ATrpms: http://atrpms.net

-Jeff

stevo32
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw, about getting lexmark drivers running under linux, let me tell you that my experiences were that i found that there were no drivers for my lexmark printer (Lexmark X1110). but good luck anyways

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 10000 I see that the print setup program has the X73 listed. It also lists an "1100" but not an "X1100".

-Jeff

P.S. In 20000 there is a nice way to easily share printers too.

shabene
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers for the help! i managed the nvidia setup eventually, i found the rpm setup a little confusing as there was so many files to choose from, nvidia has a super installer which when i managed to get to command prompt went sweetly.

and yes, todays task is printing. so can i access the blag printer setup after install? sorry to ask silly questions.

jebba
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya, you can access the blag printer config:

Menu->System Tools->Print Manager

It's quite straightforward if your printer is there.

-Jeff

shabene
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers i found the setup, but just as in windoze the printer is being a sod so i may give up on it and replace the pile of poop with my old one, an old battered hp laserjet 4 with parallel cable, everything gets on with that doesnt it?

on another vein, i want to open a port on the built in firewall for file sharing, i have an external router come adsl modem set to forward two ports but the blag firewall is blocking these, i have looked for lokkit as recc in my little linux starter book but cant find it, i also tried installing it from an rpm i found, that may have installed something but i'm buggered if i can find it. so prey tell is there an easy way to forward a couple of ports?

cheers for your continued patients

jebba
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, parallel HP should be no problem. Got one sitting right here, in fact.

For simple firewalling rules, go to:

Menu->System Settings->Security Level

For super elaborate complex uber rules, read:

man iptables

-Jeff

Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP