BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:58 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Troubles with installing
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:25 pm 

Hi there.

I seem to be having troubles trying to install Blag. You see, I had burned the ISO on a disk, and had put it in the computer, booted it up, and yet, there is no screen that asks me to install Blag, it goes strait to booting up Windows.

I had created the CD using Alcohol 120%, using their image burning wizard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:57 pm 
Site Admin

Make sure you have your BIOS set to boot from CD. When you boot the computer, while it's doing it's memory check and such you need to hold down a "special" key to get to the BIOS settings. Usually the key is F2 or Del.

If you think it may be related to burning, you can buy a blag CD from some third party folks quite cheeply. See sneakernet at:
http://www.blagblagblag.org/download/

I'm not familiar with windoz burning software, but somone else in this forum may know that application. Anyone?

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 4:09 am 

Well, I'll try downloading again, and "re-burning" it. By the way, is there an autorun feature with the program? (Windows doesn't seem to recongize any of the files and simlpy names it as a "file" extention)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 4:22 am 
Site Admin

You can check to see if the file downloaded correctly by calculating the file's md5sum. In Linux to see a file's md5sum you just run the command and the filename. For example:

Code:
md5sum BLAG-10000.iso

will return:

3c3a51b62a8aa474083aff9b51b05da7 BLAG-10000.iso

There must be some windoz equivalent, i would think. On some systems (MacOSX, FreeBSD) the command is `md5` instead of `md5sum`.

There isn't an autostart file on the BLAG cd for windoz. I'm not quite sure what it would do. Perhaps display some docs.

After you burn the CD, you should be able to view it's contents in windows. It's a standard ISO-9660 disc image. The contents of the top level directory:

autorun BLAG Changelog dosutils EULA Fedora GPL images isolinux README README-Fedora RedHat RELEASE-NOTES RELEASE-NOTES-Fedora TRANS.TBL

It's not uncommon for a cd to burn incorrectly as well...

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 4:37 am 
Site Admin

btw, you want File -> Record CD from Image in Easy CD Creator 5. then you select *.iso from the bottom drop down menu, find your image (blag-10000.iso or wateva it is) and then it will burn. :D lemme know if you need help in another burner such as FireBurner

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:03 pm 
Site Admin

It is FIle > Burn image for Nero. Failing that just use ISObuster to extract the CD and drag the contents onto the regular way you burn making sure you select data rather than audio. It is a pain that way but it has been done before for others and worked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:04 pm 
Site Admin

Jason wrote:
Failing that just use ISObuster to extract the CD and drag the contents onto the regular way you burn making sure you select data rather than audio.

I'm not sure that would work. I think you'd then have to boot from floppy. The data would all be there but maybe not the boot sector. I don't recommend doing it this way.

There's gotta be ways in windoz to burn an .iso correctly...

If you need to boot from floppy:
Code:
mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
dd if=/mnt/cdrom/images/bootdisk.img of=/dev/fd0 bs=1440k

Or try it without bs=1440k.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:18 pm 
Site Admin

Well you can check the md5 using the instructions here at this link.

http://www.linuxiso.org/viewdoc.php/verifyiso.html

Also Jeff you are correct you would need to create a boot disk but if I am not mistaken is that not in a readme in there somewhere? I remember reading it a couple of months back though I cannot remember if it was in BLAG or not.

Also with ISObuster you can extract the boot sector and rebuild it using WinISO. It is the long and boring way around with no guarantees of ever working but sometimes after Windows burning apps let you down you have no choice :(

Failing the above, anyone who needs a verified BLAG CD give me your addy via private message/email and I will snail mail it for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 5:42 pm 

Problem solved. I just had to "reburn" the image. Installation was great. Linux is certainly different. :o