BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:31 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: wma > ogg
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:44 pm 

Caraibes wrote:
And I am also one of those who read the wiki's explanation about w32 codecs, but still downloaded and installed it, because of some (very few...) songs I have in my collection that are wma instead of mp3... Of course I wish there was a software to convert all that to ogg, but I am not aware of one yet...

my friends who use windoze [and i know you have access to that ;-)] say konverter is good for this kind of purpose. i am unaware of a free gnu/linux solution to this problem.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:58 pm 

r7 wrote:

i think it's easy for free software advocates [a label i would apply to myself] to be fixated by the freeness of their software. let's have a look at hardware -- well is your computer built of free hardware, that's not environmentally disastrous, causes wars in central africa, is built in a unionized workplace etc etc? if i thought of all those ramifications, i'd give up computing altogether...

I was just thinkiing about that. One of the free software "conversions" I made was to move from a java based palmdoc converter to kpalmdoc (which, the more I use it, the less I like it). I'm using it to convert text files so that I can read them on my pda. But of course the pda and the software on it is totally proprietary and commercial. I don't think there are any alternatives out there. So I think at least at this stage free software "sainthood" is illusory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:29 pm 
Site Admin

I think mencoder + w32codec can convert from closed to free formats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:44 pm 

Well, my experience with sainthood didn't last long. I reinstalled java so that I could have MakeDocJ back. Kpalmdoc had the irritating tendency to change all punctuation marks into question marks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:07 am 
Site Admin

jebba wrote:
I think mencoder + w32codec can convert from closed to free formats.

Doesn't look like to ogg vorbis though:

Code:
[stevo32@localhost smb]$ mencoder -oac help
Available codecs:
   copy     - frame copy, without re-encoding (useful for AC3)
   pcm      - uncompressed PCM audio
   mp3lame  - cbr/abr/vbr MP3 using libmp3lame
   lavc     - FFmpeg audio encoder (MP2, AC3, ...)

Personally, I'd just convert it to pcm then encode with oggenc.

Thanks,
Stephen Clement

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:50 pm 

I may be alone here, but in my opinion, anything on the net that does't require you to put in a credit car number should be free. for myself, I learned ling ago how to make sharware into freeware, and now with Linux, which is tring it's best to bring about the downfall of the Microsoft Giant Windows....it's free and can be, with few exceptions, and all of the RPMS I have seen are all free too. Perhaps I am a rebel, but I'm a poor rebel, so anything that I can download is mine. Anyone agree?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:00 am 

One of the hazards of "free" is that it has many meanings. Freeware isn't free software. In the latter case free means free as in "free speach" not "free beer". Freeware is cost free but you agree to a license that commits you legally to certain things. Free software is licensed under the GPL or similar licenses that allow you too view and change the source code, use it any way you want, and give a copy of it to your neighbor. Some of us feel that all software should be free software and that's why we choose distros like Blag or gNewSense, because they are commited to including only free software.

Don't get me wrong, there are other reasons for choosing Blag also. It's a great distro. And you are free to use non-free software with it. But you won't find them in the cd or the blag repositories.

BTW, I started this thread and my first post was an attempt to justify using non-free software occasionally. My opinion has "evolved" since then.