BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:16 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Add me to the list...
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 4:23 am 
I don't know what on earth's going on here. I think i may have an idea although i'm not sure.

I put my BLAG cd in, reboot, it boots the CD, and gets so far as to juuuust barely touch the bootloader, i get here:

ISOLINUX .blah blah blah

then my machine reboots.
Anyone have a similar problem? I thought it might have to do with the fact that its dual proc. machine only because i've had problems with like redhat a few years ago. My machine would just restart for no reason. Its only done it twice, i'm sure there's nothing wrong with the machine but this is fuuuucked up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 4:29 am 
Site Admin

I have seen cases where Linux can find RAM problems that often go undetected in other OSs and cause problems like that. But you're not even loading the kernel if you're just at ISOLINUX.

So it sounds like you have something else going on--i don't think it's the same issue you saw with RH a couple years back.

Perhaps a google search of Fedora and the type of motherboard you have may reveal something. If you list some of your system specs I'll see if I can find something.

Any other speculation on your part would be interesting. :)

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:12 pm 
Site Admin

Also, try it from a boot floppy to see if it's not related to the CD:

Code:
mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
dd if=/mnt/cdrom/images/bootdisk.img of=/dev/fd0 bs=1440k

Sometimes I make the floppy without bs=1440k (anyone?).

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:13 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah Linux is seemingly uber sensitive to hardware but this is definately a good thing. Windows just bypasses it and you think wow awesome until you check your Event Log with 9 zillion failure all leading up to the so called "Memory Dump". Persevere with Linux because you may find it hard to get going but once it is set up for your hardware it won't let you down like Windows would.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 6:14 am 
Site Admin

yeah, back when i only had 64MB of RAM and used Windows (the year is 1999, and i've never heard of linux) i couldn't figure out why everything kept crashing. then i used a RAM stress test thingy and it found 'faulty RAM' and then closed. then i bought some new RAM and never had a problem with it again......maybe one day i should try putting that piece of RAM back in (i still have it) and see what linux thinks of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 8:16 am 
Site Admin

stevo32 wrote:
yeah, back when i only had 64MB of RAM and used Windows (the year is 1999, and i've never heard of linux) i couldn't figure out why everything kept crashing. then i used a RAM stress test thingy and it found 'faulty RAM' and then closed. then i bought some new RAM and never had a problem with it again......maybe one day i should try putting that piece of RAM back in (i still have it) and see what linux thinks of it.

I did the same thing with four sticks of RAM I had discarded because Windows didn't like any of them. So once I got Linux in on the act, three worked perfectly and only one was dead. I just imagine all the people out there right now with 'broken' hardware that doesn't work in Windows yet is really perfectly fine.