BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:32 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Gaming
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 11:30 pm 
Site Admin

I keep getting asked by people I know who use BLAG what good quality games have appeared on Linux. So I have had a look around and could only find these ones for any gamers out there.

Quote:
AlienFlux (Windows, Linux, Macintosh)
America's Army: Operations (Windows, Linux, Macintosh)
Bridge Construction Set (Windows, Linux)
Marble Blast (Windows, Linux, Macintosh)
MegaCorps Online (Windows, Linux, Macintosh)
Orbz (Windows, Linux, Macintosh)
Unreal Tournament 2003 (Windows, Linux, Macintosh)
Unreal Tournament 2004 (Windows, Linux, Macintosh)
Neverwinter Nights
Quake3
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory

source: http://www.blizzplanet.com/forum211/vie ... php?p=1137

Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory is actually free to download if anyone wanted to give it a whirl.

http://enemy-territory.4players.de:1041 ... load&cid=2

If anyone knows of any other games with Linux versions it would be great if you could post them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:39 am 
You can also play Unreal tournament, Quake 2, and the new Castle wolfenstien game on Linux. You just need to download an installer for your current windows version.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:48 am 
Site Admin

I'm not a gamer at all, but this looks pretty interesting to me:

http://www.atitd.com/

Also in the last few days there was a program mentioned (on slashdot?) that allows you to play all sorts of windz games in linux. It's built on top of wine, i believe.

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:55 am 
Site Admin

It has been mentioned around that both Doom 3 and Half Life 2 will be ported to Linux too though that may be too early to really take notice of them rumours. I would say though if they are going to port games for a Mac then they seriously ought to consider the masses of people who have PC's yet don't want to ditch their hardware just to get a Mac. Ditching Windows and keeping our existing hardware is probably the route most of us have taken.

A concept I heard pop up in the corporate world via a few friends is that Linux is for people who don't want to pay for things which is not the case with me at all. I am quite happy to pay for quality software and if I see BLAG on a shelf in a shop I would purchase it. I think most of us are just sick of paying for crap like Windows where we do not get our monies worth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:15 am 
If you want to spend money you can buy winex from www.transgaming.com which will play almost all windows games flawlessly under Linux. However, I would like to see more installers for Linux such as the ones for unreal tournament or quake 2 which install your current windows versions very easily on Linux and run better than windows(in my opinion) without the use or paying of extra software such as winex.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:18 am 
Site Admin

I would like to see video card makers take notice of the Linux market which may prompt game companies to open their eyes. Any sort of emultion software is never going to be as good as the real thing I have found in my experience.

Post subject: re: wineX
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:00 pm 

Jason wrote:
Any sort of emultion software is never going to be as good as the real thing

This is probably tired and redundant, but just in case: Wine stands for 'Wine Is Not an Emulator.' It's actually re-implimentation, so there's no overhead of an emulation layer. Whether this is better or worse than the original set of Win32 libraries will depend on the quality of each respective body of code.

I use WineX (transgaming's fork of the Wine project) to run many Windows games.

Until a year ago, WineX was noticably slower than Windows for games. But these days, people (myself included) report framerates that are comparable with, and sometimes faster than, running the game under windows.

However, the caveat is that the WineX project is not yet complete. Some games do not install (due to installation or copy-protection code requiring some functionality from Windows which Wine has not yet implemented.) Another common failure is for video playback, particularly if the game used some proprietary format of video.

But if you have any interest, the project is entirely usable - I use it on a daily basis with my favourites like GTA-VC and Thief. Many newer games are listed on transgamings website as working fully, too.