FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
Wierd Wlan setup problems

View previous topic :: View next topic  
anduin
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:28 am    Post subject: Wierd Wlan setup problems Reply with quote

OK, here is the story.. (firstly let me exceuse myself for not being very educated in linux)

Installed BLAG 10000 last night, (very nice it is too).. First task is to get wireless network working....

Tried ndiswrapper from the CD, following the instructions got to modprobe ndiswrapper (of course in root)

error: modprobe: Can't locate module ndiswrapper

hmm ... this kinda screwed me up ;-)

so .. thinking it was maybe a bad rpm .. tried downloading two other versions (removing the previous ones first of course)

all do the same, so tried starting with source code instead ...

cc not installed.... installed it and all dependancies (to my knowledge)

cant make .. a screenfull of errors (too large to list right now)

so then ..... realising i had used driverloader before on RH9 i decided to go for that instead ....

downloaded driverloader (linuxant) and started to follow the instructions .. got to the part where i go to http://localhost:18020/ .. and connection is refused...

grrrrrrrrrrr, am i being stupid ? anyone got any ideas of what i am missing ?

anduin
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

apologies for replying to my own post ...

i just installed:
kernel-module-ndiswrapper#07-1_2.4.22_1.2188.ntpl.rhfc1.dag

and modprobe gives me output now .. many many errorsregarding ndiswrapper.o; unresolved symbol.

i wonder now if i have some silly dependencies issue or something ?

any insight would be nice ? :)

jebba
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Make sure your kernel architecture matches your kernel-module architecture. Like there are i586, i686, and athlon kernels, as well as SMP kernels. This is true for the kernel-modules as well. 10000 installs a i586 kernel, so grab the matching kernel-module (which should have been installed as well, if you installed everything):

ftp://ftp.blagblagblag.org/pub/BLAG/linux/10000/en/os/i386/BLAG/RPMS/kernel-module-ndiswrapper-0.7-1_2.4.22_1.2188.nptl.rhfc1.dag.i586.rpm

Code:
rpm -ivh kernel-module-ndiswrapper-0.7-1_2.4.22_1.2188.nptl.rhfc1.dag.i586.rpm

You can also grab other kernels & modules from:

ftp://ftp.blagblagblag.org/pub/BLAG/linux/10000/en/os/i386/BLAG/RPMS.extras/

Also, you may not need to use ndiswrapper. What kind of card is it?

-Jeff

P.S. The wireless card issue is quite tricky, unfortunately. There are a zillion different cards out there...

stevo32
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are using a card on this list:

http://prism54.org/supported_cards.php

then you don't need ndiswrapper. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its one of the Belkin cards (f5d7000), cant remember exactly what chipset it uses, but i know about 4 months ago it definately wasn,t supported....

Last night i did a clean install of blag, (full install this time rather than just desktop).. its wierd, the linuxant drivers require me to point at http://localhost:18020 to finalise setup and i always get connection refused (ipchains is off) ...... I thought this may have been becouse httpd wasnt running so i started it, lovely fedora test page worked but still had no communication on the 18020 port....

I didnt bring the box to work today to try again so will try ndiswrapper again later tonight.

Any more input would be greatly appreciated, I really like this install of blag and would far prefer to get it working and keep it than to have to go for full bloated fedora..

Thanks,
Craig

stevo32
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are native linux drivers for it here:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloads1-3.aspx?Keyword=8180

although they only seem to be for kernel 2.4.20, not 2.4.22, but you can give them a try. btw, i'm e-mailing you what i've got done on the ndiswrapper wiki page, maybe you could give that a try.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Stevo,

After reboot the linuxant driver kicked in properly and allowed me to configure the card.

Thanks for all the help though, it was much appreciated... Maybe now i wont have to faff about installing the bloaty FC2 :)

Cheers to all that helped, time to reboot and check it all works again after ;-)

Craig

anduin
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooh .. nearly forgot too...

I didnt try the native drivers becouse it was telling me to ensure i have the correct gcc version installed.... when checking the version it seemed that i didnt actually have it installed at all ...

To be honest i preferred to pay the 11 for the linuxant driver than to mess about breaking this system and having to sit here re-installing it again :)

ooh to be a newbie, i just love it ;-)

stevo32
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh well, do you want me to e-mail you the ndiswrapper stuff anyways?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes please :-)

My learning curve begins now, i should learn how to get it working with ndiswrapper as well, after all ... i cant learn too much can i :)

Besides, if the missus realises i paid for a driver for linux she'll kick my ass .. so the sooner i get using ndiswrapper the safer i'll be if she starts asking questions ;-)

stevo32
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Yes please :-)

My learning curve begins now, i should learn how to get it working with ndiswrapper as well, after all ... i cant learn too much can i :)

Besides, if the missus realises i paid for a driver for linux she'll kick my ass .. so the sooner i get using ndiswrapper the safer i'll be if she starts asking questions ;-)

check your e-mail :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D thanksies
stevo32
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no prob :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its worth mentioning that its important to install the kernel-module-ndiswrapper package for it to work properly. I installed ndiswrapper via apt-get, installed the XP drivers for my dlink 650+ but modprobing would return ' module not found'

After finding this thread i used 'uname -r' to find out what kernel i was using and installed the right package via the Dag website then it all worked fine

ste

stuffit
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theres still a few glitches in how its set up it seems

ndiswrapper has the right setting in modules.conf . when i boot up the card isn't recognised until i remove the ndis module then insert it again. I changed the order of the scripts in init.d so pcmcia starts before networking but that hasn't helped.Does anyone have any ideas wht it is behaving in this way?

ta
ste

Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP