FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
Anaconda question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ewl
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Anaconda question Reply with quote

In my experience - and although I'm not the most experienced gnu/linux user, I have installed a number of different distros - anaconda is the best installer around. Is there a reason why other non rpm distros haven't used it? Is there something about it that makes it rpm only?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would take a lot of refactoring to get it to work with something like ubuntu or even more with something like slackware.
Caraibes
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason, I had to install Mandriva 2006 on a similar PC as mine, that as the same PCI TV-card.

The installer was quite similar to Anaconda, and the good point was that it detected and configured all the exotic hardware as that TV-card (Lifeview Flyvideo 2000)...

I must say that it is absolutely the ONLY distro that made that tv-card to work properly (afterwards, thru tvtime & xawtv)... Ok, PCLinuxOS did it too, but it is mainly based on Mandriva, so I put both on the same bag...

My point is that having an installer that finds all the proper firmware/drivers for difficult hardware is just great...

Now :

-Was it proprietary ???

-Don't know, but I guess not, because it was Mandriva 2006 Free (the GPL version)

ewl
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caraibes wrote:

-Was it proprietary ???

I think the Mandrake/Mandriva installer is based on Anaconda. I assume it uses Anaconda code, so it must be covered by the GPL

Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP