BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:44 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Few things...
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 9:51 pm 

Hi,

First off i love blag!! its all on 1cd! and its very simple to install and use...

now the things i have problems with....

ummm on the latest ver 10000 the login screen is a bit ugly for me... is there a way i can change that image ? and the one shown when loading the GUI after the login that is...

Also i was just wondering whats the main changes between 9002 and 10000 as i run 9002 on my main pc but i dunno if its worth me changing to the new version ?

One great thing i did like is that i installed it on my laptop and it found EVERYTHING ! which is a first... debian and mandrake i tried seemed to have problems...

One last thing ;-) KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK! i am pleased with it apart from them very small things :) which is only a few images :-P

Thanks.
Bye.

ps = sorry if this is in the wrong section!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 11:48 pm 
Site Admin

to change your startup image, go to Star -> System Settings -> Login Screen. You will be prompted for your root password. Click on the Graphical Greeter tab and select one of the other types using the radio buttons. :) and yes it is definitly worth the upgrade ;) , but you should probably wait for Blag 10001 to come out (but only if you are patient, although it'll be here soon ;) )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 9:45 am 

Cool thanks for the swift reply!

I will give that a try.

Yea i think i should upgrade.... is it hard to do? or can i just pop in the cd and choose upgrade ? or is its a backup of everything and then a format and install the new version ?

Because if its a format i doubt it will do it for a while, as i have just got everything how i like it :-P

I dont mind waiting for the new ver if i can just upgrade and not format though... if not i will just use what ever is current....

Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:47 pm 
Site Admin

The easiest way to upgrade is to type "upgrade" at the "boot:" prompt of the CD. You can also just hit <enter> and go through the regular install and at one step it asks you if you want to upgrade.

Alternatively, you can upgrade by changing your /etc/apt/sources.list.d/blag.list file to the next version you want (although from 10000 to 10001 you don't need to change this--just between major revisions) and doing this:

Code:
ctrl-alt F1      (get a text console and log in as root)
init 3    (shuts down x windows)
apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade

That will get you up-to-date via a web upgrade. It's safer to do a CD install and you need a lot of extra hard drive space for a dist-upgrade install.

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 9:06 pm 

Quote:
you need a lot of extra hard drive space for a dist-upgrade install

Ummmm will it need the space temporay or will it just need more space for the upgrade... as if its temp i dont mind... if it needs more space once installed i'm not to sure if i should do that web way...

i dont mind doing it either way... i would say a web upgrade is better for me...

i would just change /etc/apt/sources.list.d/blag.list to read

Quote:
rpm http://www.blagblagblag.org/ 10000/i386 os updates errata
rpm http://www.blagblagblag.org/ 10000/i386 extras
rpm http://www.blagblagblag.org/ 10000/i386 TESTING

and thats it ? oh and the apt-get update ;-)

Thanks again...

sorry for all the questions...
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 9:25 pm 
Site Admin

orby wrote:
Quote:
you need a lot of extra hard drive space for a dist-upgrade install

Ummmm will it need the space temporay or will it just need more space for the upgrade... as if its temp i dont mind... if it needs more space once installed i'm not to sure if i should do that web way...

It's just temp space, but you'll need like a gig of it or so depending how "full" your installation is.

To delete the files in apt's cache (e.g. recover temp space), run:
Code:
apt-get clean

orby wrote:
i would just change /etc/apt/sources.list.d/blag.list to read

Quote:
rpm http://www.blagblagblag.org/ 10000/i386 os updates errata
rpm http://www.blagblagblag.org/ 10000/i386 extras
rpm http://www.blagblagblag.org/ 10000/i386 TESTING

and thats it ? oh and the apt-get update ;-)

That's correct, except leave out TESTING.

Advantages of apt-get dist-upgrade:
1) If you have installed lots of packages from the repository, they will get updated as well. For instance, if you've installed blender, which is in the repository but not on the disc, doing a CD upgrade won't upgrade blender. An apt-get update will upgrade it. Of course, you could do a CD upgrade then do an apt-get dist-upgrade to get current.
2) You get the most recent versions of all packages. Sometimes there are many new packages that you would have to dist-upgrade even after a CD install.

Disadvantages of apt-get dist-upgrade:
1) An apt-get upgrade won't upgrade the kernel, without extra steps. You have to do something like:
Code:
apt-get update
apt-get install kernel#2.4.22-1.2197.nptl

You will have to do something similar with your kernel-modules-* if you use any. It can be a bit more tricky than doing the CD.

Advantages of CD upgrade:
1) It's a bit easier perhaps
2) You have a CD sitting there in case you ever need a rescue disk.
3) You have a CD so you can do more & more blag installs ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 9:32 pm 

Hi again!,

I read what you put and it looks like its best for me to use the CD to upgrade... then after that do a apt-get dist-upgrade ?

that way i will get the latest bits off the cd and new kernel ?

and the apt-get part will then update it to the latest web version of everything i have :)

i think thats how it works... could u just confirm before though :oops:

and now i know its temp space needed i'm ok with that as i have about 4gb temp...

also you say leave out testing ? why is that ? :oops:

Thanks again :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 9:38 pm 
Site Admin

orby wrote:
I read what you put and it looks like its best for me to use the CD to upgrade... then after that do a apt-get dist-upgrade ?

Correct.

orby wrote:
that way i will get the latest bits off the cd and new kernel ?

Yes, that will get the latest bits. To get the latest kernel you need to do the steps to upgrade your kernel described above. The latest kernel will be in 10001, whenever that gets done (the 10000 kernel is 2.4.22-1.2188.nptl, 10001 kernel will likely be 2.4.22-1.2197.nptl).

orby wrote:
and the apt-get part will then update it to the latest web version of everything i have :)

zactly.

orby wrote:
also you say leave out testing ? why is that ?

Because I have no idea what is in there right now! Could be wacky stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 9:51 pm 

HI again,

Cool thanks for all that :)

so its a CD upgrade and then a web upgrade for me :D

ummm one last thing...

could i put kernel 2.6.x on blag 10000 is there any big advantage over the 2.4.x as i have heard that 2.6.x is better on USB drives... and i run one so i was hopping it might help, or is that wrong ?

Thanks yet again ;-)
bye :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 10:05 pm 
Site Admin

orby wrote:
could i put kernel 2.6.x on blag 10000 is there any big advantage over the 2.4.x as i have heard that 2.6.x is better on USB drives... and i run one so i was hopping it might help, or is that wrong ?

You could put a k2.6 on 10000. I have done so in the past. Kernel 2.6 is likely better on USB drives. It is a ton faster too. Very nice.

Also, you may want to install a couple packages that may not get installed that are new:
Code:
apt-get update
apt-get install rhgb prelink

rhgb is the "RedHat Graphical Boot". It makes booting prettier. To use it, you will need to make your kernel like look like:
Code:
kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.22-1.2197.nptl ro root=/dev/hda3 rhgb

See that "rhgb" added?

The prelinker runs as a cron job each night. It will churn through your hard drive and prelink executables so they will load much more quickly. It will make the system feel quite a bit faster. It may break some shit, but not much in a stock install (I just read it breaks mplayer playing .wvm files, for instance). To run it immediately you can run:
Code:
/etc/cron.daily/prelink

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 10:13 pm 

HI again,

COOL!!! i am deffenatly doing the upgrade now :D i like the sound of them two things u suggested :D

ummm this is gonna sound very newbie but... how would i install 2.6.x i've only ever done 2.4.x on a debian system....

i think 2.6.x would go very nice will the new system :D

is it something simple like a apt-get install kernel ? *hopes so*

Thanks again for your help :)

ps - sorry for asking soooooo much :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 10:20 pm 
Site Admin

orby wrote:
ummm this is gonna sound very newbie but... how would i install 2.6.x i've only ever done 2.4.x on a debian system....

i think 2.6.x would go very nice will the new system :D

is it something simple like a apt-get install kernel ? *hopes so*

*crushes hope*

You'll have to find some RPMs for it under BLAG10000. ATrpms may have some 2.6 kernels for FC1. Here's some info on getting a 2.6 kernel under BLAG9000. This is in TESTING (bitrot & cruft).

http://wiki.blagblagblag.org/Linux_2.6_on_BLAG9000

Note, you don't need to install the 9000 initscripts, modutils and other packages under 10000 as they are already capable of k2.6. You'll have to update your /etc/modules.conf to /etc/modprobe.conf. Also, if you can find an RPM of the kernel, you don't have to build it, which is a whol e another story....

If you do happen to get this going, how about a:
http://wiki.blagblagblag.org/Linux_2.6_on_BLAG10000

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 10:27 pm 

Hi me again :)

nah you havnt crushed my hopes :) i had a look at that guide that seems quite simple to me.... *he says that now*

Couldnt i just use the older RPM's for the kenel ? or does it have to be ones for FC1

Just looked at one of the external links on that url you gave me this looks promising....
http://people.redhat.com/arjanv/2.5/RPMS.kernel/

I *THINK* they might be the newer RPM's i need.... *guessing*

if not i might have to leave the kernel to what it is.... or just try the older rpm's?

Thanks again 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 11:02 pm 
Site Admin

orby wrote:
nah you havnt crushed my hopes :) i had a look at that guide that seems quite simple to me.... *he says that now*

You could horribly mess up your system i warn you.

orby wrote:
Couldnt i just use the older RPM's for the kenel ? or does it have to be ones for FC1

Possibly, but you'd be the first one to TEST it....

orby wrote:
Just looked at one of the external links on that url you gave me this looks promising....
http://people.redhat.com/arjanv/2.5/RPMS.kernel/

Yes. That looks like a very good source. But go to this instead:
http://people.redhat.com/arjanv/2.6/RPMS.kernel/

orby wrote:
if not i might have to leave the kernel to what it is.... or just try the older rpm's?

If you want to do this, I'd suggest the arjanv kernels instead of the 9k ones. Take care.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 11:06 pm 

Hi again,

Cool that makes more sence to use the right url... sorry i just assumed it was right as it had the 2.6.x packages in there...

i will give all this a try tomorrow... as its kinda late here...

thanks for all your help... i will let you know how i get on, maybe i could even write a howto for it :D

I think i will try it on my test box before i try it on my main pc... just in case ;-)

Thanks again for your help! :)